PDA

View Full Version : Flying on united

BHirayama
04-10-2013, 10:21 AM
Every summer I take a trip to somewhere in the Rockies. This year we are headed to Montana. I normally fly on Delta, but it looks like United has the best fare this time around. On Delta, I am able to take 3 rods in a Fishpond rod case along with a carry on bag for no additional fee. Does anyone have any experience flying on United? Will I still be able to take my rod case and carry on bag without having to pay extra? Thanks!!

Brian H

Darian
04-10-2013, 10:35 AM
I have no experience with United but If you haven't already checked the United Airlines website, I'd recommend looking up their requirements on-line. They should provide a list of what's allowable or not and the charges, if any. :cool:

BHirayama
04-10-2013, 11:06 AM
Hi Darian. I did check the website and I honestly couldn't figure out if they would charge me for an extra carry on for my rod case. Thanks!

KJE
04-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Having recently moved to DC from Sac while continuing to fish in CA, I've flown several times with a an 11', switch rod four piece rod tube in hand with no problems. It's my "personal item", essentially what they classify as a purse or laptop bag. Don't know how big your Fishpond case is, but I think you'll be ok.

BHirayama
04-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Thanks KJE. My Fishpond case is 33 inches long with a 3.5 inch diameter. It sounds like I will be okay taking it on board.

jbird
04-10-2013, 12:14 PM
I have been flying united almost exclusively for 25+ years. I would guess Ive flown with them nearly 100 times. I have never had problems with carrying on a rod tube, reels, flies, etc... But let me tell you what happened to me last night, and this is getting more and more common and with most airlines...

We flew home from Maui yesterday. got on a red eye at 11pm monday to our home in central wisconsin. After a brutally long night/day, we landed in Chicago at 3:30pm yesterday to catch our last leg home. The flight was canceled, with no explanation. They offered to put the 3 of us on a flight 28hrs later. We said screw that and rented a car to drive the 5 hours home at the end of an already lloooonnnggggg day.... And our luggage still hasnt caught up to us as of now. They did refund the canceled leg, but renting a car one way was over $300 out of pocket. The nightmare of travel is seriously starting to outweigh the joys of vacation.

The guy in the United customer service line in front of us had a wicked trip with flights cancelled in both directions of his trip and lost luggage.

FISHEYE
04-10-2013, 01:17 PM
no problemo with rod tubes on United or any of the big carriers- ever. However, I am with Jay that the nightmares of travel are starting to outweigh the joys of vacation- cattle car seats, no services, cancelled flights for no reason, maintenance delays, lost luggage, fees for everything. The solution if you can do it is go for longer vacations. I suspect that some day and maybe in the not to distant future the costs and BS will tip the balance and many of us will stay home. I won't go to trpoical places but at least I live in Alaska and I have spring, summer and fall to fish here.

Rockman
04-10-2013, 04:25 PM
This is exactly why I just bought a slide in pop up camper for my truck. I have no fear of flying, I just don't like dealing with crowds that have a high precentage of impatient rude people. I'll be doing more driving, but I'll be more relaxed. I now only fly when I have to.
Good luck on your trip!!

Terry Thomas
04-10-2013, 07:57 PM
Will
Driving Cali freeways= relaxing? Hummm!
T

troutless
04-10-2013, 08:21 PM
I carry two 33"x3" rod tubes velcro strapped together about three-four times a year on airlines, mostly United and Alaska. No real problems. Once or twice I have gate-checked them on tiny little planes (as in one seat each side of the aisle).

Too many incidents of delayed bags, cancelled flights, or both.

john
04-11-2013, 11:35 AM
United/Continental has been very good to me. I have that same size rod carrier that's made multiple trips. The only time it was a problem was when I was the last to board and all the overheads were full. I sat down with it between my legs, and threw a blanket over my lap. Flight attendant didn't catch me 'til landing. She was mean.

Larry S
04-11-2013, 11:45 AM
John,
I thought you were going to say that she asked "Is that a fly rod under your blanket or
are you just happy to see me?"
Flying is always an adventure!
Best,
Larry S