PDA

View Full Version : Pit #5

Jeff F
04-09-2013, 08:33 AM
Just curious if anyone has even attempted to fish the Pit #5 reach since the new flow regime. Summer flows around 700cfs+ compared to 150-300cfs prior to the new flows, just seems absolutely ridiculous.

I'm an avid Pitter, but haven't even gone by to look at #5 in a few years. Never hear of anyone fishing there either. Seems like the powers that be have taken away a great stretch of the best trout stream in CA.

Unfishable flows on #5 and double flows on #4 must equate to #3 being the only game in town for guides and clients, right?

Not really ranting cuz it's my favorite river, but to me the supposed "Wild Trout Section" called Pit #3 is going to suffer from lots of extra pressure caused by the flows on #4 and #5. And the worst part.....those stupid fish will no doubt start to get smarter..........;)

EricO
04-09-2013, 02:56 PM
Just curious if anyone has even attempted to fish the Pit #5 reach since the new flow regime. Summer flows around 700cfs+ compared to 150-300cfs prior to the new flows, just seems absolutely ridiculous.

I'm an avid Pitter, but haven't even gone by to look at #5 in a few years. Never hear of anyone fishing there either. Seems like the powers that be have taken away a great stretch of the best trout stream in CA.

Unfishable flows on #5 and double flows on #4 must equate to #3 being the only game in town for guides and clients, right?

Not really ranting cuz it's my favorite river, but to me the supposed "Wild Trout Section" called Pit #3 is going to suffer from lots of extra pressure caused by the flows on #4 and #5. And the worst part.....those stupid fish will no doubt start to get smarter..........;)

I used to fish Pit 5 below the dam, enroute to Pit 4. It was brutal wading at 200 cfs. Now it's got to be a death trap.
Too bad because I've landed some big quality fish in that stretch. Pretty much ruined now. Just wonder if that was the
goal all along. Could always bring some spin gear and fish it from the dam. Uh huh.

EO

JasonB
04-11-2013, 05:38 PM
I never did fish any of the Pitt prior to the new flow schedule, but I would have to differ about it being "ruined". I've had some pretty quality fishing on 3,4 and 5, and all of them have some pretty tough wading to put it mildly. There are a few easy spots on 3 that I've found, and some ok spots on 4 and 5 as well. The big thing for me is that I just don't try to cover nearly as much water as I might normally be inclined to do. Fortunately I've never really needed to, as the fishing has been for the most part pretty stellar at the parts I've fished. I will say that on all 3 of those reaches it's pretty important to pick your spots well, and be extremely cautious wading... lots of good holes just aren't really worth it.
I'd actually think that keeping the flows up a bit higher in the summer might be a good thing in terms of water temps, seems like a pretty warm river anyways I would guess that with less water things would just warm up that much faster. Pure speculation, but I wouldn't let the high flows scare you from going... just be ready for a tough adventure.
JB

amoeba
04-11-2013, 05:48 PM
I used to fish Pit 5 below the dam, enroute to Pit 4. It was brutal wading at 200 cfs. Now it's got to be a death trap.
Too bad because I've landed some big quality fish in that stretch. Pretty much ruined now. Just wonder if that was the
goal all along. Could always bring some spin gear and fish it from the dam. Uh huh.

EO

EO: Everyone had their say already on this (during the re-licensing of FERC #233) so that debate is over and this is the way it will be for the next 28 years; the flows in the old license were too low - way too low in my opinion; new flows are for the fish (mainly trout) and their habitat (not optimum wading conditions), not guides and their client's wading abilities. It is no surprise that guides were strongly opposed to the higher flows at the time - just as they are now for the McCloud re-licensing - wanting far lower than what the fish (and the river) need in spring.

The "summer flows at 700+ cfs" is exaggerated; flows after July 1 have never been that high; and the required minimum flows are ~350-375 cfs, although Pits 4 and 5 are somewhat higher (450-550 cfs, last couple years), and Pit 3 isn't that much lower.

Fishermen will adapt and figure it out (wetwade; use small craft), the pressure will go down and the quality of the fish (although not the wading experience) will improve.