PDA

View Full Version : Alaska bound late May

jrib
03-31-2013, 05:10 PM
Im going to Anchorage Alaska on business in late May. What fishing opportunities are there that early in spring? Any guide options. I may only have an extra day or 2 for fishing so I would like to not have to venture too far away from Anchorage. Ive heard the still water can be great. Any advice would be appreciated.

FISHEYE
03-31-2013, 08:17 PM
In late May there is not much happening. Most streams will be closed to protect rainbow trout spawning, and the streams that are open for king salmon are mostly open only weekends. Late May is early and there will be very few kings around. Your best bet might be to find a guide to fish the lower Kenai or Kasilof but the chances of catching a fish early are not great considering that king returns this year are expected to be very low. Post your question at www.alaskaflyfish.com

pvsprme
04-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Im going to Anchorage Alaska on business in late May. What fishing opportunities are there that early in spring? Any guide options. I may only have an extra day or 2 for fishing so I would like to not have to venture too far away from Anchorage. Ive heard the still water can be great. Any advice would be appreciated.

Stillwater can be very good around Anchorage and if you are a Vet, I think the military bases have some lakes that are stocked and get little pressure. I'd contact a local fly shop for infor. Pack a float tube. Fisheye hit it right on the money for other alternatives,

Larry S
04-04-2013, 03:06 PM
jrib,
Ard (hardyreels) on the spey pages board lives in Wasilla and spends much of his winter working on his
remote (60 miles from a road) cabin. He was heading down to the Kenai this week to try out a new spey rod
and shake off some of the cabin fever. He said there would be resident rainbow and Dolly Varden and
possibly a salmon.
Aug - Sept is prime time. Best of luck,
Larry S