PDA

View Full Version : Folsom Carp?

hwchubb
03-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Have any of you Folsom regulars noticed many carp on the flat yet? It's getting to be that time but my new schedule hasn't allowed me to check. Caddis are behind on the American, was wondering if others were too. The poor water year may also mean limited flats, I assume.

Garrett S Realtor
04-12-2013, 12:55 PM
No replies yet? No one wants to admit to fly fishing for carp, anyways what flies are you using/ I have always wanted to do this.

David Lee
04-12-2013, 01:44 PM
The only stillwater I've hooked Carp in is Camp Far West , never a fair-hooked one out of Folsom . Truth be told ..... small streams are harder , but more amusing to fish for me .

I know , no help at all ..... sorry !!

D.~

Darian
04-12-2013, 02:57 PM
It's been a while since I fished Folsom but when I did, I found them in two places. the shallows in New York Creek (off the south fork) and a cove called Jacks Shack. I always caught them, accidentally, while Crappie fishing with a fly. Never purposely targeted carp in either of those spots but it gives you a place to start. Also, it was always better after the run-off from snow pack had started and the water was high, into the edges of the brush. :cool:

hwchubb
04-12-2013, 06:39 PM
Browns Ravine and Dike 8 fish well for us shore bound anglers at the right time, which is usually about now. They'll show up by the hundreds feeding and spawning, disappear a day later, and show up again two days after that. Have never figured out the pattern. They are tough, though, and will test your patience, stalking, casting, language, and tackle. A lot like fishing redfish, except reds are easier. My son and I will be hunting them this weekend

Dan Harrison
04-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Last year First week of June seen more carp than i could count at the end of New York cove. They were all spawning and could care less about my fly. Seems like a good place if your timing is right and they are feeding. Also have seen some feeders out on the flat on the main point in May but was fishing for bass and my streamer only spooked them.

Baja Fly Fisher
04-13-2013, 09:00 AM
My go to flys for most anywhere I fish carp are:

San Juan Worm, red
Brown Wooly bugger, with legs
Nymph, something similar to the fuzzy nymph
Dough Ball, for top water when they are clooping. Dough ball made from white egg yarn, soaked and dried with Scotch guard

Jay

Saw a bunch of big carp on wednesday at the forebay jumping completely out of water

hwchubb
04-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Thought I posted this yesterday, but apparently not. Sounds just a little like Jay' response though, doesnt it? I haven' ever gotten them on dries - whenever they were clooping it was on duckweed, like goldfish on fish food. Would have had to drift it into their mouths, which is tougher than it sounds.

Jay - which forebay is that?

As far as flies, smaller brown bugger-esque patterns or anything else that looks like a small crayfish, generic nymphs in size 8-10, and San Juan worms are my usual go-to patterns. There are quite a few carp patterns on line as well, although I haven't done as well on bigger patterns (2-4)

Baja Fly Fisher
04-13-2013, 07:32 PM
The O'Neill Forebay. I've been out chasing/looking for LMB and carp. So far found one LM around 4lbs

Jay