PDA

View Full Version : Good Friday Stripers

Tony Buzolich
03-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Today is Good Friday and I want to say it really was. I got on the water at 6:30 like most mornings and headed upstream to one of my usual starting points where I'd begin my first drift. The water had come up to 56 degrees in the last two days and this was a good sign. Only a slight breeze from the north and the water looks perfect. As I work my way downstream I decide to try a different approach and change sides of the river. I was the only one on the water and without other boat traffic I could take my time and fish quietly undisturbed.

Soon enough I felt a small tap on the fly and without stripping or trying to set the hook, I simply stopped and let the fly drop in mid-retrieve. Wham! The fish turned around and grabbed the fly again, this time solid. Around and under the boat we go and quickly into the net. Great way to start the day. Right at 6 pounds and back into the water he goes. I continue the drift and within the next fifty feet I get another hook-up, and another nice schoolie of about the same size. Then we repeat the same action six more times and it's barely 7:30am.

This is a fresh school of fish that must have just come in during the night. Surprisingly non of these new fish were spilling milt like others had earlier in the week. When we get a school like this that wants to eat, it's only fair to call one of your buddies and tell them to get their butt down to the river as it's happening.

I give Jim a call at work and he says he be there in five minutes and he's at the dock before I get there and quickly hops aboard.
We motor on up again and begin our drift where we think the school is holding and sure enough I get another good grab and it's "Fish On" again. All nice schoolies in the 5 lb. to 7 lb. range ,,,,,,,,until Jim hooks up. This one stays deep and doesn't twist and squirm like the others. Definitely a bigger fish and on an 8 weight really a lot of fun. After a few minutes of over and under I net Jim's 14 pounder.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/GoodFriday2013004_zpsdcde8267.jpg

What a nice way to start your day before going to work. It really is a good "Good Friday".

I get Jim back to the dock as he does need to go to work and I head back up again for "just a couple more" :) Along the way I meet Ryan Williams who was just Christening his new boat and anybody throwing a fly rod has to be an okay guy so I stop and say hello.

Ryan asked about the flies I was using and I offered him one to try and off I went. This was going to be my last drift and I thought I'd try the other side of the river as usual. Two casts and I get tight again. And then again twice more. All of the fish were carbon copies of each other as to size except for Jim's 14 lber.

So, I give thanks for a great day on the river and a Good Friday I'll never forget.
Tony

Darian
03-29-2013, 10:49 PM
WOW!! You're really tearin' 'em up. Keep those photos coming.... :cool:

Ryan
03-30-2013, 12:01 PM
So I was on the Feather for a while with no action what so ever. After meeting and talking to Tony, he gave me some pointers because he was slaying them while I wasn't lol. I've seen his pictures here over the years, so when I was getting advice from him I knew I was getting really good info, so I was sure to listen and absorb all his tips. He even gave me a few flies and told me where to throw them. Shortly after I had gotten two nice stripers at around 5 and 6 pounds I'd estimate. Tony is a class act. I can tell he really knows that river like the back of his hand. After getting into the stripers I decided to call it a day for the lower river and hit the upper river on my way home for some steelhead. There I hooked up with a half dozen or so. They were really keying in on olive caddis patterns. So for myself to land some steelhead and stripers in the same day was a first. A good friday for sure! It was pretty cool to see how different the two fight, both fight insanely hard, yet they do so in different ways. Also nice to meet Tony and Jim on the river. Anyways thanks again for the tips Tony that was very cool of you! I really appreciate the helping hand. Thats gotta be some good karma on your part! Here's a picture of the nicer fish I got thanks to Tony!

Tony Buzolich
03-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the compliments Ryan. You definitely make a good PR man.

As good as yesterday was, today started out pretty bad :( We left the dock in total darkness and while Jim was stringing up his rod he yells to me, "Tony, did you leave your drain plug out?" EGADS! Yes I did! A quick U-turn and I drive the boat back to and on the cement ramp much to the humor of all who were there launching. After washing the boat down yesterday I forgot to put it back in.

With bilge pump running full speed we headed back up to start the morning over. The school from yesterday had moved out but we did manage four nice fish that got us onto our reels though and they're ALL fun.

Hope to see you out there again soon,
Tony

Jim May
03-31-2013, 01:36 PM
Hey Ryan,
It was nice to bump into on the boat ramp Fri. I've got a feeling you're going to put a lot of fish in that new boat.You are right about Tony he's a good guy and always willing to help.
Jim May

Frank Alessio
03-31-2013, 03:20 PM
Jim May is a pretty nice Guy himself.....And He catches some pretty fine fish to boot.....Frank

Ryan
04-01-2013, 10:20 PM
Hey Jim, Thanks for the words of encouragement! I hope your right. See ya out there.