PDA

View Full Version : Warming Weather

Jay Murakoshi
03-28-2013, 04:30 PM
The temperature in Baja is starting to get warm... or should I say HOT... Predicted temps for next Thurs, Fri, Sat in the La Ventana area is 96 degrees. This week La Paz is mid 90's right now. Could this be a hot year, both fishing and weather wise.
They have been catching some YT around Cerrralvo Island in the 30+ pound range. A few dorado and hopefully the big roosters will show up real soon.
I'm heading to La Paz the day after the Kiene Grizzly Fly Fair. Spending a few days in the East Cape checking out the beaches before I head to La Paz.

Thinking about roosters and dorado, I have a few spots left in the week of May 4 - 11 and Jun 1 - 8. May is primetime for roosters and June can be hot for the dorado, marlin, sails and possible yellow fin tuna

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-28-2013, 04:45 PM
That La Paz trip Jay has the spring is Roosterfish plus lots of other species.

That is one of the nicest trips....and affordable.

Besides the great fishing I really enjoyed going into La Paz in the evenings for dinner.

David Lee
03-28-2013, 06:25 PM
Candida and I are returning to La Ribera April 29th - holler if you come thru !!

D.~

jbird
03-28-2013, 06:46 PM
That La Paz trip Jay has the spring is Roosterfish plus lots of other species.

That is one of the nicest trips....and affordable.

Besides the great fishing I really enjoyed going into La Paz in the evenings for dinner.

I agree La Paz is a really nice town and a great place for non fisher people. The only downside is the distance to the panga fleet.

Baja Fly Fisher
03-28-2013, 06:59 PM
Not that far of a drive considering La Ventana is around 20 to 25 minute drive. The good side is we have many restaurants to choose from, things to do in town, the tourist thing. Yes, the down side is the drive to the beach, but 95% of the people fishing out of Las Arenas are coming from town. You travel to where the fish are. It was great to have the facilities of Las Arenas Hotel but it also had it's draw backs
So you give a little and take a little. I'll never leave

Jay

FISHEYE
03-28-2013, 08:56 PM
The drive is not that big of a deal and the amenities of La Paz and a nice hotel more than make up for it.

gitt
03-29-2013, 03:49 PM
Too bad the Las Arenas Hotel is no longer operational. Now that was a hell of a trip, Jay, when both you and Ken were doing the trips. Pangeros picked us up on the beach. The light house was the only thing we saw in the evening. Still surprised to see sunbathers from our veranda in the afternoon after fishing. Of course there was no tourist type activities. The bar at the hotel was kick. With no bartender, grabbed ice cold Negro Modelos and left money on the bar. What a way to rehydrate. That trip Vic went back to room to do exactly what he was instructed not do. Check ceiling fan operation with his rod.

Baja Fly Fisher
03-29-2013, 05:29 PM
Good ole days but the La Concha has it's good, also. I still have the same captains as we did years ago. They pretty much remember everyone who comes down to fish. My manager Pati who use to run Las Arenas is also still with me. If you're lucky to be at the hotel during a swimsuit modeling day :-) I have some video of one they had a few years back. I was wondering why all the guys were hanging around the changing tent. Every now and then, they put on a Modelo Fiesta. The model girls, skimpy bikini's, too much for the heart. I also have some photo's from that event. Forgot to add, they also hold the Miss Baja contest in the area.
Downtown La Paz always has some kind of festivities going every weekend, Especially during the Cinco de Mayo days. They block off the main part of the malecon and party.
Lot's of new restaurants in the area. The latest is Azul Marino. A fantastic roasted porkloin along with some great salads. Then there's always RANCHO VIEJO, the people's favorite... The new remodeled Bismark Central for fish dinners, mmmm the huachinango is the best. Also the new location of the Buffalo BBQ.
Then there's always my favorite Hawaiian pork ribs and rice at the Tailhunter Restaurant to go with the spam musubi.

Enough, I'm packed and ready to go

Jay

john
03-30-2013, 11:50 AM
I've never minded the AM drive. The first year I went(Kiene Board trip), of course I was hyped. But, after a day or two watching Jim, Bill, and Terry, it's OK to sleep on the way down. Great value trip.