PDA

View Full Version : silver fork american

rouleur35
03-28-2013, 08:42 AM
I am thinking of heading up to try the silver fork in the next couple days, can anyone help with suggestions on where to park/fish, I have never fished on this river just drove by it a bunch.

thanks,
tom

Jeff Stephens
03-28-2013, 08:52 AM
I love the Silver Fork.....There are Parts of the SF
River that are closed till the trout opener. If your on the American @ Silver Fork your fine Check your regs to make sure your in an open area.

Bob Loblaw
03-28-2013, 08:55 AM
Save yourself a trip. its not open until last Saturday of April.

Mike O
03-28-2013, 02:26 PM
I just read my regs...SFA is open for no take, single barbless hooks, as with other American Tribs above Folsom, during the "off-season"

(4.5) American River, North Fork, Middle Fork, South Fork and their tributaries above Folsom Lake (Placer, Eldorado, Amador, and Alpine cos.).
Last Saturday in Apr. through Nov. 15.
5 per day 10 in possession

Nov. 16 through the Friday preceding the last Saturday in Apr. Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used.
0 take

As stated, however, access is rough.

Jeff Stephens
03-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Check carefully we pulled the Regs at Kiene's the stretch around the campgrounds off Silver fork road are closed and reopen for the trout opening weekend. Their are parts of Silverfork that are open year around but check which locations.

rouleur35
03-28-2013, 03:28 PM
where do you find that info? when I look at the cdf website I get the info that Mike O sent. At any rate, back to the original question, is there any particular place to go?

thanks,
tom

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Many of those rivers are closed and very cold now too.

Right now I would be looking at LMB in ponds

I would look for Stripers from the Delta upstream to the mouth of the Feather River.

Try trout in lakes and trout in spring creeks.

Go for Trout and small steelhead below the first dam on many valley rivers now.

Mike O
03-28-2013, 05:48 PM
The campgrounds ARE closed. The river is not closed to fishing, just to the take of trout.

Here is where I got it.

http://dfg.ca.gov/regulations/FreshFish-Mar2013/ccr-t14-sec7_50.html

Lists all special reg waters

This one lists the general regs

http://dfg.ca.gov/regulations/FreshFish-Mar2013/ccr-t14-sec7_00.html

Scott V
03-29-2013, 07:47 AM
Silver Fork and any water that touches the South Fork of the American is open all year and has been open all year as stated in the regs. It is just a matter of when you can take fish.

You can park at the first bridge you will see on your right about 3 miles down the road and start hiking. The whole stretch is fishable, it is just a water of where you want to start. In all honesty, it does not matter where you fish, the water is all pretty much the same.

randypants916
03-29-2013, 05:43 PM
its technically "open" but no take, fished it twice in the last couple of weeks, got skunked, water is still pretty high for that stretch

rouleur35
03-29-2013, 06:07 PM
thanks,
tom

chemdoc
03-29-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm curious as to how you accessed the river? According to the National Forest office when I called them last week, the gate at Kyburz is closed on the Silver Fork Road and the upper access from Mormon Emigrant Trail is blocked with snow. A friend and I went up several years ago on the opener (before it was open year-round) and the flows were high and cold and we got skunked as well. I usually wait until June in a normal year until the flows drop enough to make dry fly fishing possible.