PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Motor Steering Question

Tony Buzolich
03-27-2013, 08:35 AM
I don't know why but my motor will turn farther to the right than the left at full lock to lock. Nobody has a good answer for this and it hasn't been a problem but I'd like to have things be the same on both sides when I turn.

My older motor did it too so I will assume it has something to do with the steering's rack and pinion. Does anyone know if this can be adjusted?

Thanks, Tony

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-27-2013, 08:50 AM
Go over to Sutter Marine in Yuba City and see Brian.......

luckyt
03-28-2013, 04:57 PM
Hi Tony....center your outboard, remove steering wheel and place back on evenly. I believe since the problem existed with your old motor and now the new one the problem is the wheel is not on even and straight. It may be just a matter of placing the wheel back on just one spline further right or left. Send me an e-mail and I will call you if you need further.

Tony Buzolich
03-28-2013, 09:25 PM
Thanks Lucky. The steering wheel is straight and the boat goes straight, it's just that I can turn farther to the right than the left. It hasn't caused any problems. It just seems strange.

Thanks again, Tony

AndreD
04-03-2013, 09:40 PM
Hey Tony

I think lucky may be right. On my steering, the part that attached behind the wheel in a rectangular box that has the gears. I wonder if when that was installed the cable to the outboard may have had more of the linkage to one side. You may want to disconnect the linkage, drop the gear behind the wheel and see if you can even out the play. Even if there was more to the side, the boat would still track straight but the left to right turn would be limited.