PDA

View Full Version : Half-pounders are in the Lower American River now.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Local guide Charlie Gonzales took me down the river in his new Hide drift boat for my birthday, yesterday.

https://www.facebook.com/charlie.gonzales.524?v=wall

http://www.bigvalleyguide.com/

I had Terry Thomas join us. First off we had a show from a group of Turkeys.

It was a beautiful day with some Half-pounders in every riffle from Rossmoor Bar down to the Gristmill Access.

Chef Charlie made some very nice shrimp ceviche for lunch.

We had about a dozen grabs, hooked 6 Half-pounders from 12 to 18 inches. Most flew off before we landed them on our Spey rods that were way to big but great practice for me.

Charlie had us use a larger on 10 soft hackle with a smaller 14 caddis pupa trailer. I think the smaller flies are the ticket now because the fish were eating caddis.

I would use a single handed rod or a small Switch rod now with a floating line, long leader and #12 caddis pupa on 3x tippet. Maybe have some caddis dries too.

I think you could fish all day long now but I would keep moving.

I did not do a good job with photos because my iPhone was in my pocket in a zip lock bag. Need to keep a water proof camera on a lanyard around my neck to get good fishing pictures.

We ran into Mark Kranhold at Rossmoor and then saw Malcom Fea at Gristmill.

Tons of wildlife on the river now. Many birds, deer and squirrels.

Put your gear in your car and get out there after work........

Jeff C.
03-26-2013, 02:54 PM
Sounds like you boys had fun on the float. I have a LifeProof case for my iPhone and I don't have to worry about getting it wet. It was a well spent investment.

winxp_man
03-26-2013, 03:10 PM
I would say a nice #4 Switch rod is nice right about now. Well that is hoping you do not hook into a bigger fish. Nice trip and looked like a fun day :D

winxp_man
03-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Sounds like you boys had fun on the float. I have a LifeProof case for my iPhone and I don't have to worry about getting it wet. It was a well spent investment.

Damn right about this Jeff. The other day on the Truckee I dropped mine in while talking but didn't mind because of the LifeProof case :D

Larry S
03-26-2013, 03:51 PM
The pictures tell it all; playing Hyde and seek on your birthday.
Best,
Larry S

Smitty Fish
03-26-2013, 04:28 PM
I'll be out tomorrow swinging some soft hacks. Sounds like you guys had a blast. :-]

Don Powell
03-26-2013, 07:12 PM
Happy Birthday, Bill... you celebrated in style!

Adam Grace
03-26-2013, 08:13 PM
I am planning on fishing after working at the shop next week for a couple of days. I can't wait for the weather to warm up and the caddis to start popping off at dusk. Half-pounder fishing is fun, and my new 12' 5wt will be a blast with these spring run fish :)

Charlie Gonzales
03-26-2013, 09:25 PM
Thanks for a great day Bill and Terry.

I will be out tomorrow evening, probly in the lower river somewhere.

Just got the new MOW intermediate tip and itchin to see how it swings.

winxp_man
03-27-2013, 12:59 AM
Thanks for a great day Bill and Terry.

I will be out tomorrow evening, probly in the lower river somewhere.

Just got the new MOW intermediate tip and itchin to see how it swings.

I know that I like the iFlight head and the AirFlo intermediate head but I have yet to try the iMOW tips...... post a report when you get a chance.

Jeff C.
03-27-2013, 07:12 AM
I'm going to start using my 5 wt TCX with a Steelhead Scandi line and an intermediate tip.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-27-2013, 09:04 AM
I think a #4 to 6 weight Switch rod would be great for Half-pounders.

flyguy1
03-27-2013, 01:27 PM
Adam, let me know what evenings you might go out after work next week, and maybe we can hookup (pun intended). Maybe we can compare notes on TR 12' 5wt. I will be fishing mine. Send me a PM if you want.

Scott K

Adam Grace
03-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Scott, I now have seen your post. Fishing together sounds great. It was nice to see you at the shop again today. We'll get you dialed in on your 12' 5wt too. I can't wait to hear which grain weight you prefer on your rod. Talk to you soon.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-28-2013, 04:59 PM
Andy Guibord and Jim Bare are out on the American River right now.

We should get a report tonight.......

Rockman
03-28-2013, 09:42 PM
Andy Guibord and Jim Bare are out on the American River right now.

We should get a report tonight.......

I just got back from the AR. Got in about 1 1/2 hours of evening fishing. Brought my 5 wt. Helios set up w/ a Caddis dry, but I never used it cause I did not see a single rise and only a couple of caddis flying around. Sooo, I fished my 10' 6wt. Z Axis with a beadheaded copper/brown rubber leggs w/ a caddis wet fly dropper. I got one really nice fresh 30" chrome steelie on the rubberleggs. A nice aggressive grab, followed by 5 nice big jumps. Finally got him in. Snapped 2 quik pics, a small revival time, and off he shot like a rocket. Going back tomorrow after work again.

Rockman6768

Adam Grace
03-29-2013, 12:30 AM
Rockman, very nice springer!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-29-2013, 09:07 AM
Andy and Jim were at the Goethe Park area and did well last night.

Had about 6 fish on.....landed a few that did not fly off in mid-air.

Andy said he landed a nice Half-pounder on his 6 weight Switch rod on an Assassin pattern that was around 3 pounds.

Terry Thomas
03-29-2013, 06:23 PM
Nitro Caddis pattern was working today.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-29-2013, 07:35 PM
Nitro Caddis pattern was working today.

Thanks Terry........

Charlie Gonzales
04-08-2013, 11:27 PM
Got a new Facebook page, come on by and visit..........

https://www.facebook.com/BigValleyGuideService

Andris
04-09-2013, 10:09 AM
Speaking of Iphones and spey rods, I just found and am downloading the "ezSpey" App onto my Iphone--for .99 I figured why not?

Frank Alessio
04-10-2013, 10:21 AM
Is that a one time charge or is it a monthly charge???

winxp_man
04-10-2013, 12:44 PM
Is that a one time charge or is it a monthly charge???

All iPhone apps are one time charge. Unless its a subscription app. (movies and such) Example if you buy a app that is used to watch movies you will have to pay a monthly fee to use it but the app itself only is charged once on your iTunes account.

Frank Alessio
04-10-2013, 01:20 PM
No wonder you have a time machine you are a smart young man....

Larry S
04-10-2013, 04:26 PM
Frank,
All updates are free, as well. You get reminders when an update is available. Should you decide to
remove an app, for whatever reason, it remains yours and you can reinstall it at no charge.
I don't have a time machine; but most folks consider me a smart ass.
Best,
Larry S

Frank Alessio
04-10-2013, 05:02 PM
No I think you are a smart man... Thank you Larry....

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Anyone under 50 seems to be better at the new technology than I am at 68.

Lucky I have a dozen young good friends who are very "Techy"....

I have them all on an email distribution list under "Techy Folks" so when I need help I just email them the question all at once.

STEELIES/26c3
04-12-2013, 03:13 PM
Anyone under 50 seems to be better at the new technology than I am at 68.

Lucky I have a dozen young good friends who are very "Techy"....

I have them all on an email distribution list under "Techy Folks" so when I need help I just email them the question all at once.

ALL SUCCESSFUL business owners know the importance of relegation and delegation~;)

STEELIES/26c3
04-12-2013, 03:15 PM
and retired old farts know it all the more...

Randy Lee
04-12-2013, 10:30 PM
Did I misunderstand or the half pounder I-phones running on the American River. What is the fly of preference? When you get to a certain age everything seems to get jumbled together. I'm leaning more toward instigation and procrastination.
Randy

okkabausa
04-14-2013, 12:26 AM
?????????????????