PDA

View Full Version : Salmon River OR

ICE
03-21-2013, 02:22 PM
This may be the the wrong section.

Any one have any experience or info on the Salmon River in OR below Mt. Hood?? I'll be on the river for 3 days in May and plan on fishing most of the days. Any other info for the area would be greatly appreciated. Google searches have not been very helpful.

Thanks
Justin

Troutstalker55B
03-21-2013, 03:27 PM
I have fished the Salmon for summer steelhead when I coached at USSTC on Mt. Hood back in the early 90's. There are also many other opportunities around the area. Contact the fly shop in Welches; http://www.flyfishusa.com/
If your looking for a guide I highly recommend a good friend of mine, Marty Sheppard; http://www.littlecreekoutfitters.net/

Good luck!

rouleur35
03-28-2013, 03:46 PM
I grew up on the river as a kid, since that was my father's go to steelhead river. I did fish it last year for a couple hours when I was driving from bend to portland. There is a good fly shop in welches, or and that is where I picked up the flies I used. Mainly big ass green stimulators. According to the guys at the shop, the river doesn't get much pressure for whatever reason. There is a campgroup off e. salmon river rd where we used to camp a lot when I was a kid, so I started there and worked my way up to the bridge where the road turns to gravel. I ended up getting 6 trout in about an hour right before dark. 3 very small ( maybe smolts) and 3 nice sized ones and I lost a few more. Some very nice runs and after fishing for steelhead the last two years I can see why my dad went there. You cannot fish for steelhead or salmon in the river anymore. There is a trail that starts a little downstream from the campground that continues to the bridge all along the river. At the bridge the trail continues but varies in it's accessability to the river. I think there is also a trail on the other side of the bridge going up river as well.

All in all pretty fun little spot and I would go back, not sure why others don't fish there.

The sandy river is also close by