PDA

View Full Version : Truckee, CA.

bigfly
03-20-2013, 09:38 AM
The sound of dripping is constant right now.
Just received an inch or so of phat snow flakes.
It is almost already melted.
Nice thought.
Sun is trying to come out.
Should be clear/warm for a while.
Flows are up slightly today, and a bit off color.
Water temps will drop.
Might wait a day......might not....
Have been seeing BWO's sz 16-14.
Baetis sz 20.
Skwallas sz 10, Nymph sz 12.
Smaller stage Golden stone nymphs.
Some small speckled Caddis sz18.
We don't consider this river to be a dry fly destination...
But if you are patient, and observant, and get a really good drift....
They are in there.
Mostly, bobber on....

Jim

Morgan
03-20-2013, 09:44 AM
It seems as if spring came very early this year. We got some snow down here on the south shore this morning, but its been raining since daylight. Been hearing good stuff in your neck of the woods Jim. Maybe il see ya in the next week or so. Thats about as close to home as I can fish this time of year.

bigfly
03-28-2013, 12:18 PM
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac260/Bigfly1/Stock/361ef882-3167-49f2-8b59-f2beb384d62c.jpg (http://s905.photobucket.com/user/Bigfly1/media/Stock/361ef882-3167-49f2-8b59-f2beb384d62c.jpg.html)

Flows are warming again. 46-48 deg.
Green/clear and stable..
Will be overcast and fishy most of the week.
BWOs, Baetis, and a few sz 18 speckled Caddis.
Skwallas are about done, but still seeing some in the afternoon....
March browns popping now...
Not many noses, try emerger/nymphs.
Looking like a low water year, fish early for best results.
There has been steady fishing pressure all winter.
The fish have their game on, bring yours.....

Carpenter Ants are next.............

Jim

JasonB
03-28-2013, 02:15 PM
Jim,
Sounds like it's game on for sure there. Just got back from a pretty sweet 3 days of fishing just a bit further south of you, and spring is in full swing. Lots of warm sunny weather, lots of bugs, and even lots of fish. That's a really nice looking brown there! If you don't mind sharing, what's that monstrosity dangling from it's jaw?
Cheers,
JB

TyV
03-28-2013, 08:10 PM
Nice fish Jim!

Dan LeCount
03-28-2013, 08:33 PM
Smile Jim! You almost look angry. lol

roywest
03-28-2013, 08:42 PM
Hey, wait a minute, I caught a fish!

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/FrameBase?content=/en/imagegallery/imagegallery.shtml?images=http://pictures.abebooks.com/LEGENDARYASSETS/897789687.jpg

Morgan
03-29-2013, 07:04 AM
NIce catch bud! but man...smile a little bit. Did he bite ya to piss ya off?
This spring...i mean winter had everyone out on the water with all the nice weather the last few months.
I'll be up sometime soon.

bigfly
03-29-2013, 10:12 AM
As a photo guy, I often am thinking more about the shot I'm not taking.....
Than the fish I've caught.
Had just hammered two in a row and was kinda pumped, and in a hurry to do it again.
Next time I'll try and smile for ya.

Great blue skies today, Winter is a memory.....
Hope you guys are getting out.

Jim

Randy Lee
03-29-2013, 08:50 PM
Jim,
Beautful Brown!
Have you heard the song deuling banjos? Dude! Kinda scary there. I would imagine you have the river all to your self. Ah ha! Now I see what your up to. Clever. Wish I thought of it myself. Grasshopper can learn from master. I'm enlightened!
Randy

bigfly
04-03-2013, 11:09 AM
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac260/Bigfly1/Stock/P3230078.jpg (http://s905.photobucket.com/user/Bigfly1/media/Stock/P3230078.jpg.html)

Fish isn't as big.....
But you wanted a smile....
Next few days are misty/rainy.
Fair weather fishermen miss out......
Flows are perfect...Green/clear, if slightly pushy. 46-48 deg.
Many bugs.....

Skwallas...Sparse, but still on the menu.
Little Winter stones are still here, somehow..., since snow is long gone.
BWOs sz18-16 they come and go with the clouds...
Baetis sz20 Don't overlook this bug...all stages...
Speckled Caddis adult sz18.. The free ranging rock worm sz16 (Pale, not bright green, think Burks bottom roller...) has produced for the first time this year. Fox's Caddis pupa is close.
March browns sz16 Mostly nymphs....but a few adults.
Not seeing risers much....
Moved more fish this week, than last......Big Bows have spawn color.......
Bigger fish around if you have streamer game.
Of course, you still have to land them....
A friend had to swim a part (twice) of a 150 yard battle to land his first Bow 25-26". (The entry level to "Walter class"...)
These fish don't make it easy.....but that is exactly why I live here....

"NEWS FLASH"

DA DEAN....has made room on his permit for me!
I am now guiding Tahoe National Forest waters, in addition to Big T....
Let me know if I can help.....

Jim

Troutstalker55B
04-03-2013, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the report Jim and welcome to DA DEAN TEAM! Best of luck to you this year.

Morgan
04-03-2013, 07:47 PM
Nice action Jim! Warm out on the water today...busy as hekk where I was.
You look a bit more stoked this time :) Some fishy weather indeed this week.
Congrats on the permit upgrade.

bigfly
04-04-2013, 08:47 AM
Thanks Jon and Morgan....

Update.
More steady rain than I expected.
River is off color a bit, and will get worse as the rainy day continues.
That means a day to recover clarity (at least).
I'll still fish today, but will swing a streamer.
While dirty, and as it clears, you can get away with a heavier leader.
This is an advantage, use it.
Also, the higher flows churn up food.
Worms....Crays......stones.....
I'll let you know when it's clear....

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac260/Bigfly1/Clients/IMAG0150.jpg (http://s905.photobucket.com/user/Bigfly1/media/Clients/IMAG0150.jpg.html)
It's Spring.

Jim

JasonB
04-04-2013, 08:23 PM
That's great news Jim. Glad you guys had a bit more success than we did. I would guess that things should be looking pretty good for the weekend and next week. Might have to make the trip up again next week if I can swing it.

I thought I might also put warning out to anyone heading up to the Truckee to beware of a very rabid SKUNK. Just when you start thinking you've got it all down, this vicious little bastard comes out of nowhere and mauls ya. Chases you all the way back home, and takes days to scrub the scent and heal the wounds from ones mind and body. Don't say you weren't warned; while I think my own personal attack was mostly a case of bad luck, you just never know quite when and where that guy might come out and jump ya.

Cheers,
JB

bigfly
04-05-2013, 08:05 AM
Jason, didn't you tell me your girl got one?
So it wasn't a total bust?
I met a guy once...... who told me he had never been skunked on the T.
Was standing with Andy Burk at the time.
We looked at each other with raised eyebrows ......
Everybody pays dues here. Hell, skunkage is a merit badge on the T.
(I'll give you the badge later. It's got a cute little skunk with grrreat big fangs on it.)
The Truckee is the place you come to accurately calibrate your personal fish-hero setting....(IF you really want to know....)
A friend kept a fishing journal for his first season here.
He calculated that it took ten hours for every fish.
The number is not far off.
Of course, we can catch them on the first drift too.....
The bar is set high here, but do ya really want it e-a-s-y?
You've done pretty well on the T, just hang in there.
And thanks so much... for the skunk report.
It really helps business...........:rolleyes:
Give a shout when you come up.
They're in there.....

Flows are up 6-8 inches, and pushy.... Tan/clear 47-48 deg. tonight.
Cloudy/blue skies, breezy.
A combo platter of Baetis, BWOs, and a few March browns sailing on the glass.....no noses.
You know the drill...

Jim

Frank R. Pisciotta
04-05-2013, 05:21 PM
BF---Right On!

I'd like to share the opening paragraphs of an article I authored in the Spring 2002 issue of Northwest Fly Fishing magazine. It was entitled The Truckee...A Lesson In Patience.

"If you are looking for easy fly fishing, don’t come here! California’s Truckee River is not a good choice for the casual dilettante. This fishery befuddles competent fly fishers. Also, self-proclaimed hotshots with initial, high expectations gleaned from constant success on other swift flowing waters…I was there during my first decade of fly fishing…will be disheartened. If one is patient and attentive, this eastern Sierra freestone stream will begrudgingly expose its secrets.

This is not a “quick-action” freestone stream; 15-25 trout days are few, if at all. But, if you are intrigued by a serious test of your talent, this venue will hone your stream-craft. Being consistently successful here bodes well for your other excursions on moving waters.

One of the fascinating aspects of California’s Truckee River is its knack of slowly affecting your fly angling psyche. I’ve often mused of a corollary: during my serious downhill skiing days of the 70’s in the Tahoe area; I’d always return to Squaw Valley (lately dubbed “Squawllywood”), when my over-inflated ego needed an adjustment. The Truckee can serve the same purpose. Progressively, as you learn its idiosyncrasies, the river’s allure becomes addictive and exhilarating…just like Squaw Valley.

Frank R. Pisciotta

JasonB
04-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Totally agreed on the challenge factor, and in no way am I complaining. Still thought I should warn others, that skunk up there IS particularly vicious and the public really need adequate warning. Oh and Jim, for the record my wife pointed out that she didn't catch 1 while I was getting skunked but 2. I'm guessing that the fishing should be getting better and better in the coming weeks, and hope to make my way back up there soon. Gotta settle a score with that skunk!
JB

bigfly
04-05-2013, 07:50 PM
I stand corrrected....2 fish....the x journalistsia in me shivers with horror at my error. Mea culpa...
Have a dose of skunk relief, on hand if needed. (relieves the burning sensation..). (Also, I know a couple of good guides...)
But I'll bet you get love the next time, nothing helps one's focus like skunk...and female fishing pressure..
Thinking of coming out with a "I survived a skunk attack on the T", tee shirt......
Ad it to the bigfly product line...along with the personalised "Lectro" Fish catcher.
Don't need to cast , get a drift, or set......Dude!

Jim

TyV
04-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Go Gigi!!! Just kidding Jason. I bet that did good things for her fishing ego though! She probably wouldn't want to go so often if you schooled her all the time ;) Glass is certainly half full!!!!

I am sure that I am due to show up on the Truckee and get it handed to me soon...it's been awhile lol. I am sure I need it!

Morgan
04-05-2013, 08:47 PM
The T is one of those rivers that will put you in your place for sure. A very hard river to fish w/out a little know how. Another good reason to hire a guide for the first outting or 3. That local knowledge can take you a long way. The truckee is also one of those rivers where a good drift really counts. So very rare will you get a fish to eat on a crappy drift dragging thru the river...if at all. Unlike some of those easy to fish...heavily stocked rivers. Ive been gettn too many good easy days in lately. I'll see ya next week sometime Truckee river for a little humble pie :)

bigfly
04-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Hmmmm, maybe a "I was served a slice of humble pie on the T, tee shirt"....
That way the skunk lobby won't be offended..
Can you even say skunk on a fishing forum?

Ed Wahl
04-05-2013, 10:59 PM
Aw geez Jim put away that smile. I showed it to my dogs and one feinted dead away and the other started gakking like he'd swallowed a wish-bone. ;)

Dan LeCount
04-06-2013, 07:08 AM
Congrats on the permit Jim, you definitely put in your time and deserve it. I'll see you on the water. Pretty little bow btw. Love the spots. Looks almost like a baby from Alaska with those spots.

bigfly
04-06-2013, 09:48 AM
Thanks Dan!
That's a Truckee-baby bow. (Read wild.)
A client's first Truckee fish...
Can't wait to catch him next year, and the next....
Nice tying blog!

Edit..4-16-13
Snow's gone...it's back, but won't last with only 1/4" of fresh...
Sun is (Almost) out....better Wednesday....
A little breezy in the afternoon.
River's flowing green/clear.
We have passed a tipping point temp wise.....fish are more active.
Still on a winter temp swing though. Mid-morning to mid-afternoon is good.
46 deg at dawn, 50+ by mid afternoon, then dipping as the day's snow melt enters the watershed.
Evening slows down a bit. They don't seem to like falling temps.
Flows are dropping slightly, still a tad pushy......you might bring a staff, and some buddy wading going on...
You can still cross in many places...but choose carefully.
Gets bigger in the PM. Down in the canyon it is approaching 600cfs....no crossing...
Bring a bigger stick to cover more water. 11ft. rods are a joy. (Single or Two handed.)
Have been fishing heavier flows with some success. Bring some serious split shot. ABs, AAA.
Little flies seem best, but tease them with something big too.
Higher flows expand their menu.
Worms, Stones, Crays....etc.
Some cream Caddis, Try Fox's pupa sz16-18.
BWOs when cloudy.
Baetis seems to be the hot tip.
Med sz. dark stones too.
Found a small black/red winged ant on the water. Try an epoxy ant down deep.
I think I'll super glue a little wing on one...
When next warn trend comes through, I'll bet the big Carpenter ants will fly, are you ready?
The Winter bugs are about done. No Skwallas this week.
Water temps dipped a little, but as it comes up again, they will start to rise......
Get ready for Spring.....

Edit...4-20-13
Found Black Ants walking.....gotta walk before you can fly.
I predict they will fly this week, have you got your ant ready?

Flows in the little tribs to the Truckee river are very low already, fish early this year, July August,and Sept. could be grim....

Jim