PDA

View Full Version : American River Reports?

Mike Stroud
03-20-2013, 08:00 AM
I have not been out in the last few days. Does anyone have a report on the stripers, or shad, in the American?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-20-2013, 08:42 AM
Local guide Charlie Gonzales has been getting Half-pounder Steelhead swinging flies with a switch rod on the Lower American River

http://www.bigvalleyguide.com/

Terry Thomas
03-21-2013, 07:10 AM
The river has been dropped to 1190 cfs. Shad are a month out.

Tony Buzolich
03-21-2013, 08:09 AM
I can't believe you guys aren't out there chasing them. The American should have stripers in it earlier than up here and there's already a few showing here now. Just got a couple of reports from Verona and above Colusa of stripers being caught so they're on their way.

And, I if there's enough half pounders to chase, there ought to be enough stripers too. I bet Charlie has had a few half-pounders eaten off the line.

Come on Andy and Maury,,,, get out and tell us what's going on :)
Tony

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-21-2013, 08:13 AM
Andy Gubord is checking the Lower American River in the lower reaches, Watt Avenue to the mouth, for Stripers.

April/May are traditionally good if we get some fish in.

Hatch
03-25-2013, 04:06 PM
There ARE some stripers in the lower AR, and at the mouth. I fished it on Friday in the wind, tough day to throw big flies. The Sea Lions (five of them from Last Chance down to the Mouth) were getting more than we did. At one point one of the large pinnipeds chased a 4#er all the way up on to the shore and grabbed it "Killer Whale" style. Cool to see, but not cool to see that many of them eating my little friends.
From what the biologists say the stripers in the AR are there to EAT only. The majority of the spawning takes place on the Feather and the Sac.
I will be on the Feather this week. Hope to get a big girl searching for a mate.
HATCH