PDA

View Full Version : Some Warm Water/Salty Flies....

Darian
03-19-2013, 01:50 PM
I've been doing some tying to get ready for Bass and Baja. Here's a few to check out:

hybrid "Hawg Tied":
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/jockscot/DSCN0031_zpsf12e0703.jpg
A variation of a bug taken from Blantons BB. The original can be viewed at:
( http://2flyfish4.blogspot.com/2013/03/tutorial-hawg-tied.html )

Clouser, Goatfish:
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/jockscot/DSCN0032_zps468692e4.jpg

Sea Habit, Goatfish:
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/jockscot/DSCN0035_zps40d51f26.jpg
Found that Goatfish live in the Sea of Cortez. In Hawaii, Mems has used a Goatfish Clouser to catch Trevally. I figure they should catch Jacks of all sorts at La Ventana (maybe other stuff, too).

Kinky Muddler (orig. jonny King):
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/jockscot/DSCN0037_zps4cc73956.jpg
This is a knock off of the Kinky Muddler. This pattern has so much potential for both fresh and salt water that I had to tie up a bunch for everywhere and anything. :cool:

mar
03-20-2013, 08:14 AM
Excellent photos and flies Darian! Especially like your version of the ‘hawg tied’ fly. That sucker looks fishy as heck. How’s the stance and cast-ability with the frog legs in the back?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-20-2013, 08:39 AM
Very nice....we could sell tons of that first one.

Baja Fly Fisher
03-20-2013, 09:56 AM
There you go Darian, tie up 10,000 of those frogs and make a few bucks :-). I have a lot of those foam heads but didn't know what to do with them until now. I've also come up with an idea for a top water striper fly but still waiting to see if the big line sides will eat it. I found out where all those big stripers from the Delta have gone........

Jay

FISHEYE
03-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Darian, great looking kinky muddler. I have caught roosters, dorado, jacks (of several species), king mackerel, Spanish macks, and tarpon on them. It is a great fly. I switched over to fox tails instead of feathers (http://www.foxy-tails.co.uk/productsguide.html) for much better action in the water and more durability. Many of The fox tails I bought from England have long fur up to 5 inches. I am also using that v tying technique to tie sculpins, and mice and also small baitfish with Senyos laser dub. FYI, the wig hair that Jay talks about all the time makes a great kinky muddler.

Darian
03-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Mar,.... Still working on proportions. Not satisfied with the head size yet (too large???). Also, it's tricky to tie in the legs so that they don't try to rotate after tying in (even after using adhesive). I haven't cast the bug yet but it's designed to be a slider. It's rear weighted with wire in the bend. The hook rides point up. So, it should ride w/ head up and legs down at rest. I'm interested in what action the feet will provide when the bug is stripped. It might dive if used with a sinking or sink tip line. We're coming up on some warm weather again. So, I'll post some more info after the first trial....

Bill/Jay,.... Old saying (by me) goes "when you're tying, you're not fishing". I can't seem to concentrate on tying past a dozen. After that I start looking for something else to get in to. That's not always a good thing.... ;)

Phil,.... Thanks for the compliment and the tip about fox fur and wig hair. Seeing the first Kinky Muddler (Jonny King orig) changed my perspective on using SF blend materials and his tying technique makes it all so easy to do. Great results, too (nothing like his tho). I saw your Kinky Muddlers and like the colors you chose. I'm thinking about tying up a few in purple/black and red/black for Tarpon at Turneffe. We won't be there at prime tarpon time but there'll still be a few around to try for.

Jay's brush/wig hair flies look great, too. I'm running out of time to get all this tying done before time to fish at La Paz/Turneffe. Terrible thing.... ;)

Jimmie
03-20-2013, 01:33 PM
Darien, what great looking flys!! You always inspire me.

Take Care,

Jimmie

FISHEYE
03-20-2013, 10:20 PM
Darian, the two color combos I do best on for Belize tarpon are chart/white and all black (black/purple). Sometimes I fish other combos but I come back to those- it is because I use them most that I catch tarpon on them or because tarpon like them? Read this and decide what colors to use.
http://www.flyfishinsalt.com/species/fish-species/science-behind-tarpon?page=0,1

Also, I incorporate UV materials into all of my tarpon flies.

Are you guys going to Turneffe in Nov? I go to Placencia the 1st two weeks. Usually lots of tarpon around.

Baja Fly Fisher
03-21-2013, 07:02 AM
Darian,

I'll send you an email regarding the rotating legs. I might have a solution. I'm trying to finish up the baja flies before I start on the turneffe flats flies. I'm doing some toad patterns in chart/white and black/purple for roosters

Darian
03-21-2013, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the compliment, Jimmie.... Now it's your turn to put some photo's of your bugs up here.... :cool:

Phil,.... I'm following Jay around this summer/fall. La Paz in June, Turneffe Flats in November. First time on the Atlantic side of things. I'm really looking forward to wading a flat or fishing in lagoons, etc. My goal is to catch a Permit but will try for anything that comes along. Hope you have a good trip to Placencia.

Among others, I'm tying up some crab and Tarpon patterns. Thanks for the link to the article. I've started incorporating UVR material in my salty and bass flies, too. Been reading a bunch of stuff on UV vision of fish.

Question for anyone. I'm trying to understand how humans can see reflected UV rays (or can we) when we're unable to see direct UV light rays??? When I shine a UV light on material that has UV parts added or painted on, it reflects much more brightly than normal. Isn't that as a result of flouresence??? :confused:

Jay,.... Purple/white for Roosters???? I can see it now; a cast to a Rooster en la playa,.... La mosca lands perfectly and Pez Gallo jumps straight up out of the water, splashes down and races of at top speed. Actually, if that could ever happen, it would make a heck of a photo. ;)

FISHEYE
03-21-2013, 02:44 PM
I bet some toads would work really well for Senor Gallo and his neighbor Senor Dorado. Maybe tie them with long fox tails, add some marabou and then finish with foam (not yarn). They would float right under the surface.

DLJeff
03-21-2013, 03:40 PM
Hula Girl guarding the bonefish flies I tied for my trip in 20 days.

FISHEYE
03-21-2013, 04:29 PM
Where are you going for bones? Those look very nice. The ones on the left would be good for tarpon.

DLJeff
03-21-2013, 05:04 PM

DLJeff
03-21-2013, 05:06 PM
Headed to Andros. That little tarpon looking fly actually caught one of the biggest bonefish I've caught a couple years ago in the same area. No weight, it works great on really shallow fish when their back and tail is out of the water. Bonefish eat alot of baitfish. A key for me when tying bonefish flies is to cover the entire spectrum of weight - large barbell, bead chain, small barbell, and no weight. That's more important that tying a bunch of different patterns I think. Which reminds me I need to whip up a couple cuda flies and a couple shark flies. I won't pass up the chance at a sticky nosed balcktip or spinner.

Darian
03-21-2013, 08:56 PM
Good looking flies. Gave me a few more ideas. I haven't had any prior experience with Bones/Permit/Tarpon but your suggestion about varying weights within a pattern make sense to me. Thanks for that info. I'll be tying my flies accordingly. Good luck at Andros. :D

I think Jay is taking some Toads with him to La Paz. If they're the same as those I saw at the Fly Fishing Show the heads are foam. They look great. I'd bet the chartreuse/white or chartreuse/yellow would be deadly on Roosters. I'm really beginning to get excited about these trips. :cool:

ps. I'm still trying to figure out an effective Squid pattern....

FISHEYE
03-21-2013, 09:46 PM
I have caught more bonefish on clousers than any other other fly.

Jay Murakoshi
03-22-2013, 07:52 AM
Darian.... I have a foam toad that I'm calling the "skid plate" It's big, bright and should work. I'm trying to define it a little more to create some more wake. I'll send a photo later this week

DL..... I have a bass fly called the "Hula Girl" It was made from a 20 gauge shotgun wad, some foam to help with floatation and a rattle. It looks just like a Hula Popper. That's what I originally called it but was told that I can't call it that on the open market.
That Hula Popper was a trademark name. I think I have a photo, I'll post it

I'm getting real excited about baja and turnoff flats.... Next on my agenda for next year, I'll be adding a trip to Andros and CI. I'm working getting dates as we speak

Jay

Adam Grace
03-22-2013, 08:17 AM
Great flies DLJeff!

Baja Fly Fisher
03-22-2013, 08:34 AM
DL,

Here's the picture of the Hula Girl. A fly that's a little hard to cast at first but once you get the timing down you can launch it 70'.
I've used it in baja for roosters and dorado. I also have some video on how the fly reacts in the water. Pretty neat.
I does take some time to tie up and finish off

Jay

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/DSC_5422.jpg

DLJeff
03-22-2013, 09:20 AM
I have caught more bonefish on clousers than any other other fly

I don't doubt that one bit. Clousers are a very accurate fly to cast, even in the wind. You can tie them with varying levels of weight, including no weight. The only modification I make when tying clousers for bonefish is I like to use material that moves more freely than bucktail. I'm in the group that likes to let the fly set on the bottom once the bonefish reacts to it. So a little marabou or arctic fox or something that waves in the current helps.

Cool looking fly Jay.