PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo Rod Appraisal

JAWallace
03-18-2013, 09:37 AM
A friend picked up a bamboo rod at a garage sale, and he was told that it may be worth $1,000 -$4,000. There are no markings on the rod. This person is new to fly fishing and I don't know who he runs with, so it may be just guys talking, or he may have scored.

Can you recommend someone or some place for an appraisal? Would someone at Kiene's know? Thank you for your help.

flyfisher7
03-18-2013, 10:19 AM
Give Jim Adams @ Adams Angling a call at 510-849-1234 He's been in the business of buying, selling and appraising bamboo fly rods for a long time. A really nice guy who will steer you in the right direction

DonCooksey
03-18-2013, 02:34 PM
You can usually get a pretty quick response by posting some good photos of the rod on the Appraisals section of this bamboo rod forum: http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=69. Many rod builders and collectors frequent this site and give well-informed identifications and appraisals, but you need good photos. It seems very unlikely to me that an unmarked rod would be worth that kind of money.

JAWallace
04-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Thanks to all, especially flyfisher7, for the help. My friend contacted Jim Adams and said he was a terrific guy. As we thought, it's an unmarked Montague which of course does not have any great value.

roywest
04-04-2013, 09:43 PM
I hope your friend finds a line and reel that suits his rod and he gets some nostalgic joy from catching a trout or two with his rod...