PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite trip

Rossflyguy
03-15-2013, 12:01 PM
I just got the news that we were able to grab a spot up at Crane Flat mid-July. I've neer fished yosemite. Does anyone have any tips, suggestions, or areas I can fish? Anything would help. Thanks!

Bitter Dave
03-15-2013, 04:23 PM
I've only fished the Merced river once, right outside of Yosemite in El Portal. Fishing was almost too easy and the fish were surprisingly acrobatic. This is based on only 30 minutes of fishing, so maybe I just got lucky. But in July I think that the water levels will be too high to be fishable

http://www.sierraflyfisher.com/tours/yosemiteregion.htm

gitt
03-15-2013, 06:44 PM
Either pick up Steve Beck's Fly Fishing Yosemite or if you have the extra sheckles, drop Tom Knoth a line at http://yosemitesierraflyfishing.com. Tom relocated from the bay area to Groveland where hangs out his sign post guiding, catering dinners, providing cooking classes and selling real estate. Tom started the Groveland Fly Tiers when he relocated to Groveland. You can find his fly tying site at Groveland Fly Tiers, if you google it. He puts on the dawg when it comes to BBQ. He is a better than above average angler that can impart quite a bit of information. He is multi faceted and strives for high standards as the consummate angler. I have fished with him and enjoyed his company from Alaska to Baja. His knowledge base is fantastic when it it comes to trout and bass. He is a meticulous fly tier as well.

But like the previous response suggests, the waters might be too high. Tom can get you into areas both inside and outside the park.

Best of luck!

TyV
03-16-2013, 12:02 AM
For something different you can fish the Upper Tuolumne through the meadow. Gorgeous place to spend the day. Tons of willing little brownies to around 12"

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-16-2013, 08:57 AM
Either pick up Steve Beck's Fly Fishing Yosemite or if you have the extra sheckles, drop Tom Knoth a line at http://yosemitesierraflyfishing.com. Tom relocated from the bay area to Groveland where hangs out his sign post guiding, catering dinners, providing cooking classes and selling real estate. Tom started the Groveland Fly Tiers when he relocated to Groveland. You can find his fly tying site at Groveland Fly Tiers, if you google it. He puts on the dawg when it comes to BBQ. He is a better than above average angler that can impart quite a bit of information. He is multi faceted and strives for high standards as the consummate angler. I have fished with him and enjoyed his company from Alaska to Baja. His knowledge base is fantastic when it it comes to trout and bass. He is a meticulous fly tier as well.

But like the previous response suggests, the waters might be too high. Tom can get you into areas both inside and outside the park.

Best of luck!

Good info 'gitt'.......thanks.

Rossflyguy
03-16-2013, 09:05 AM
I don't need anything huge. Just willing fish. I read about Tuolomne Meadow. Seems like the ticket. So either it's too high or it's going to be low this summer? Which one is it?

Sammy
03-16-2013, 09:38 AM
if it doesn't snow much more, it won't be too high. My guess is the run off will be done before July this year. Fishing the merced in el portal this particular july might be rough. Water temps can get extremely warm out there. Tuolumne meadows, and above or below, are a great bet for fun fishing. Lyell fork especially might be worth the short hike. tons of eager brooks and browns that would love any hopper pattern you throw. There are some large browns there too but they aren't too likely to eat a fly.

Definitely research the tuolumne meadows area and its tribs. (lyell and dana i think) and it's just damn pretty up there too.

mikel
03-16-2013, 10:02 AM
http://www.flyfisherman.com/2011/07/25/tuolumne-meadows/#axzz1zzqA74QZ

Walk up thru the campground on the Lyell Fk. The farther you go the fewer the bathers and bigger the fish. Fish anything dry that remotely makes sense and it's on.

gitt
03-16-2013, 10:11 AM
It is all dependent upon snow pack. Tuolumne Meadows should be fine. Tioga Rd normally opens Memorial Day weekend. If things keep going like they are, water levels will be fishable. But snow plows have encountered blue ice when clearing the road. Lots of areas along Tioga Rd is in the shade. I have been to Tuolumne on July 4th weekend and the meadow was flooded with run off. Hit the East gate entrance the same day and there was 7-8 feet of snow in the shade and all the water was hard on the surface still, making it tough to hike in much less fish. Other years, the hiking trails have moving water and the High Country camps delay opening due to accessibility. A couple of years ago, we hit Glenn Aulen before the tent cabins were open. The welcoming committee was plenty of skeeters. Hiked down to Water Wheel Falls the next morning. Some places along the trail was covered with water for a 100 yards. Learned quick that Gortex boots are only good to the top of the boot. Forgot to mention that this is in July. Your results may vary though. It is crap shoot with snow pack and runoff in my book until August. Speaking from experience? Maybe.

bigfly
03-16-2013, 11:35 AM
This year, the snow pack is pretty pathetic.
I suspect July will be OK.
The good news about a drought year, (Which is what I think is going on.) is mosquitoes won't be as bad.
Less standing water in the meadow. (Maybe bring some bug juice though......in case.)
The farther you walk out into Tuolumne meadow the better it gets.
Trailhead areas get hammered.
Stay low on approach to the water, you will get more love.
Have fun....

Jim

gitt
03-16-2013, 01:46 PM
Update: Son claims that they are already rock climbing in the valley. Frazel (sp?) ice, which normally occurs in the spring was seen in January after New Years. He has a buddy that works in the Yosemite valley that has plans on backpacking in April. He reports seeing recent ranger photos of Tuolumne. There is snow, but it is also very sunny. He reports that the top of Yosemite Falls is void of snow and flowing as though it was already spring at this time. Their feeling is, if the weather pattern holds, it will be an early outdoor season. Wild flowers are already starting to bloom but they don't indicate where. If you are on Facebook, like Yosemite National Park, they provide daily updates. On Twitter, @yosemiteblog gives more detailed information, but it is often more sporadic in posting times.

Chris Evison
03-19-2013, 01:45 AM
Lived and worked in Yosemite from 1981-1989 and saw all the different run-off scenarios the 80's produced. Not much snow in the high country and no miracle March on the horizon. I agree with those that say run-off should be done by late June, so you should find very fishable conditions in July. Toulumne Meadows is scenic spot to fish and the fishing up the Lyell fork can be fun with dries. The Dana Fork above the Lodge and along Tioga Road is fun to fish and very accessible.

I ran White Wolf Lodge off Tioga Rd for three summers and found fish in some of the little creeks that the road crosses between Crane Flat and the White Wolf turnoff. Little creeks around White Wolf Lodge have small Brook Trout in them. Check Porcupine Flat Creek downstream of road and campground. I've never fished it, but have seen fish in it hiking to North Dome.

If you go to valley check out Illouette creek below falls, used to find small, eager rainbows up canyon leading to base of falls.

When I lived their I only used dries. Best was Goddard Caddis followed by the trusty Parachute Adams. These days I would use a small bead head dropper under the dry. Small stimi's are another producer.

With meager winter last year and another below average this year your timeframe may be just right.

Hope this helps you and anybody else fishing the Yosemite area.