PDA

View Full Version : Drift Boat Trolling Motor?

Ryan
03-13-2013, 01:38 PM
I'd like get a trolling motor for my drift boat to avoid rowing all the slack water on the Feather. It's really beginning to get old. I see the DFG (or whatever its called now) out there with the trolling motors on their drift boats, and it seems to work very well for them. So I wanted to get some advice if anyone has any experience on what size shaft to get, and what pound thrust? Or any other suggestions as well. Thanks!

dude02
03-13-2013, 03:54 PM
We put a Minnkota EnduraMax 42" shaft on a Clackacraft WF. It pushes upstream through eddies maybe a hair faster than rowing and with ease. It will not go upstream against anything more than mild current. A 55 is as large as you can go with one battery. Larger = a 24 volt system. For pushing through frog water, the 12v 55 is perfect. I guess you could get away with something smaller if you were only using it to go downstream. Considering overall weight of the battery and motor, I'd opt for the 55. We have the battery in the rower compartment. It balances the boat well with one or two guys in this location. Used a bit of velcro to keep it from sliding around during transport.

They have a 36 inch shaft and I am fairly sure you could get away with that. The controls will just set closer to the transom when in the water. The 42" can go deep enough in the water and still lift out of the water without hitting the back seat.

We are getting about about 2 hours max of run time at full throttle with new batteries. This is plenty for an all day float, especially if only going downstream.

The trolling motor mount is a simple C clamp design with two screws. We have had this type of motor on a metal boat and it held fine, but it would twist off the back of a glass boat. They sell motor mounts at Hyde. We just built one and for a glass boat, I would say it is mandatory. We tried sticky tape with a sandpaper finish, but it didn't work at all. Too much torque when trying to turn sharply.

We do not have CF numbers for the boat, but any type of motor, including electric, requires them (though I've noticed the DFG fish counters don't have them!). We don't have any and the sheriff river patrol guys up here has said they don't mess with drift boats with trolling motors so we are rolling the dice. Overall a very nice accessory, especially for low winter flows.

Ryan
03-13-2013, 04:33 PM
Awesome that covers everything! Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it!