PDA

View Full Version : Floating Line sinking.....

Rossflyguy
03-13-2013, 08:07 AM
I'm having issues with my floating line. The head keeps sinking during a drift. I applied the SA line conditioner but it doesn't really help. I'm starting to get really irritated because it screws up my drift. Has anyone had the same issues? Any tips on fixing this problem would be a great help.

PatrickM
03-13-2013, 08:37 AM
Putting some Mucilin on the line prior to fishing will help.

Troutstalker55B
03-13-2013, 09:02 AM
Pulling the line across some warm temperature fluorocarbon ski wax then polishing it with a soft cloth will work in a pinch. Most likely your line is shot and may need replacing. The newer welded loops on fly line tips seal the entire line and water cannot enter.
Good luck!

Tony Buzolich
03-13-2013, 09:29 AM
I think Jon Is right about that being shot. If your line is wicking water through the line's core it will sink. If you want to try and dry the line for several days and then seal the end it may help. Using a nail knot to attach the leader only compresses the coating around the core. The core still has the ability to absorb water and thus sink.

Go buy a new line (cheap or otherwise) and seal it after you put on your leader.
Tony

ycflyfisher
03-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Boil a quart or so of water. Pour the boiled water into a plastic container of the appropriate size. Strip the entire flyline off your reel and place all of the line except the first 3-5 feet of the forward taper into the boiled water. The heat transfer from the boiled water will cause the air in the lines core to expand and that will force the water in the core to evacuate the core from where it entered. As soon as you put the line in the water look for spots that begin weeping water in the first few feet of the forward taper and mark all the leaks. Usually most nicks or cuts in the line that go all the way to the core are in the first 15 feet or so of the line. If it’s not in the first 3-5 feet of the forward taper, repeat the process until you locate the leak(s). By my experience, this process usually puts a line you might feel inclined to toss, back in business.

amoeba
03-13-2013, 12:36 PM
OK, so you locate the leaks; then what? How do you fix the leaks?

ycflyfisher
03-13-2013, 02:12 PM
Apply a drop of line sealant (loon or Rio work well) to the damaged sections. In a pinch any silocone based sealant that dries flexible will work.

Rossflyguy
03-13-2013, 03:55 PM
This line isn't that old, maybe a year old. It's Rio Salmon/Steelhead line. It's got a welded loop already.

Larry S
03-13-2013, 04:02 PM
If it's only a foot or so of line, you could cut that short section off and seal end. If you're going to try to
dry the line, you should look into the baggie and dry rice trick. Didn't that work for you, Tony, with a
GPS or depthfinder. I do find my lake lines more problematic than stream lines. They dirty up quicker
and ,after a while, you can't clean them completely. I agree with an earlier poster that Mucilin(?) is still
one of the best float ants going. Good luck, and keep us posted on results.
Best,
Larry S

amoeba
03-17-2013, 01:51 PM
Apply a drop of line sealant (loon or Rio work well) to the damaged sections. In a pinch any silocone based sealant that dries flexible will work.

Forgive me - but what is "line sealant"?; if you mean line dressing, that stuff isn't really a glue which "dries". I'm not clear on what loon/Rio product is being referred to here. Can anyone explain?

Thanks

winxp_man
03-17-2013, 05:45 PM
Aqua-seal works very good to, and dries flexible.

Dan LeCount
03-17-2013, 06:26 PM
Forgive me - but what is "line sealant"?; if you mean line dressing, that stuff isn't really a glue which "dries". I'm not clear on what loon/Rio product is being referred to here. Can anyone explain?

Thanks
I think hes talking about knot sense.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-17-2013, 10:53 PM
Wash with warm water and mild soap, then dry off with soft towel so it is clean.

Then put Green Mucilin paste on the line, let it soak in, then polish it off.

If you brought it into Kiene's they could put a new welded loop on the end which would seal it and keep it from soaking up water.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _

Here is an old fly shop joke: We have people come in who's floating lines are sinking and we have people come in who's sinking lines that are floating? Maybe they could just trade lines?

ycflyfisher
03-19-2013, 04:49 PM
I think hes talking about knot sense.

Yep or Knot sense UV. Rio makes a similar product line also.