PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Powell rod with case

fishdoc1
03-10-2013, 02:43 PM
I have a Press Powell "Chico" Summer Run Graphite Rod 9ft for 7-8 wt with original case. Excellent condition.Classic Vintage Rod. Asking $250 b/o. Contact Doc Ceder at fishdoc1@juno.com.

Lance Gray
03-10-2013, 05:43 PM
If it's a Summer Run it should be 9'6". That is how we made them. Does it have the case and cloth bag?

I sent you a PM.

fishdoc1
03-11-2013, 06:01 AM
It is 91/2 not 9ft and it has the green case but not the sock.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-11-2013, 06:32 AM
When that Summer Run IM6 rod first came out several of us bought one.

Chuck Campana could throw the entire Cortland SL (green - 105') long belly WF7F with it.

It is a wonderful full floating line rod for swinging flies for summer/fall Steelhead.

I was going to comment on that length issue too.

Rich Morrison
03-11-2013, 09:15 AM
I'm not sure which green case it might be in. It should have been sold in a black aluminum Powell Rod Co tube. Perhaps some photos?
Rich

fishdoc1
03-11-2013, 12:44 PM
It is in a single rod case that has room for a reel too. Has the Powell Logo on the case. Light green cordura material.Not too good as to posting pictures!

Lance Gray
03-11-2013, 04:52 PM
It is in a single rod case that has room for a reel too. Has the Powell Logo on the case. Light green cordura material.Not too good as to posting pictures!

It sounds like a rod he (Press) made after they sold the company. The original rod would have the Powell name on it without a logo. It would have a black case with a tan cloth sack.

Still woth money but not as mnuch as the older one.

Rich Morrison
03-11-2013, 11:56 PM
I think Lance is probably right. And I don't think I've ever seen a green codura case. Blue yes...to include the "Performance Ply" cases for the rods that Press was doing after the company was sold. I'd be curious to know the color of the blank. Can you tell me exactly what is written on the rod? Is it a decal or hand scripted? Is there a serial number? My guess is it is hand scripted with no serial number. I do have a couple of post sale Press rods that are labeled with the same "names" as the IM6 Light Touch rods but were built on signature series/west branch blanks. I have a 9'6" 5-6wt signature series blank that was hand labeled as a "Long Reach" and came in one of Press' Performance Ply cases. Press built a few rods on left over PRC blank stock after the sale...mostly for friends and long time customers. Sounds to me like this may be one of those rods.
Rich

fishdoc1
03-12-2013, 06:37 AM
I'll send a picture of the rod and case to your email. I think I can do that ok.You know more than I about the rod and case. I'm just trying to sell for the widow, and will take offers.

pvsprme
03-20-2013, 06:11 AM
What color is the blank?
Does it have a short, removable fighting butt?

Rich Morrison
03-20-2013, 07:41 AM
Here are the photos Doc Cedar sent to me. It's an early serial numbered factory Summer Run - very nice rod. The case is one I've not seen before but was probably a short production run of something they tried out but that proved to be cost prohbitive - it appears to be a nice case. I don't see a fighting butt...perhaps Doc can address that? I know Jim at Raptor Rod can turn one for you to Powell spec without any issue. I don't know if the seat is tapped for one though...as this is an '87 rod it may not yet have been an option.

ricards
03-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Funny, I was just having this conversation with a friend of mine two days ago. I have a nine and half foot, seven-eight wt. LT (Light Touch) Powell rod that once belonged to Chico guide, Dave Simmons. I always thought that the "Summer Run" was another name for that particular rod, but, from what I'm reading, they were built using entirely different blanks?

Rich Morrison
03-21-2013, 08:45 PM
Probably not. If it is an LT9678 it is probably just a rod built post 1994. My website may help: www.classicpowellrod.com
Rich

ricards
03-21-2013, 09:18 PM
I received an email back from Jim Clarkson (Raptor Rod Works), who was the chief rod builder at Powell's when I lived in Chico, back in the late eighties and early nineties. As I've always suspected, the Powell Light Touch LT9678 and Summer Run were one-in-the-same rod. I will offer an excerpt from Jim's email, which will give some perspective on the rod, and Powell's connection with Gary Loomis. I would also like to add that the rod that Doc Cedar is selling would be a great investment for someone looking for a light steelhead rod. You won't find a better one for the price. The only thing that it might need is a fighting butt, which Jim should be able to install. I'd also like to add that you won't find a better rod builder or nicer guy than Jim Clarkson. Having put in my two-cents worth, here's the text from his email:

"..we (Powell) produced a line of rods called the Light Touch, about 16 different models in it’s maturity, they were all IM6, all Powell blanks produced under Gary Loomis’ supervision and all 2 piece models built on a dark green blanks, the early versions of the 4 piece models were on a gloss charcoal blank and later evolved into the dark green versions as well.

The entire early Light Touch series rods were “named” for each model, the “Summer Run” was the early incarnation of the 9’ 6” 7-8 wt. 2 piece in that series and the 9’ 7-8 wt. was called the “Bigwater”, the only other 7-8 wt. 2 piece in the series was the “ North Umpqua ”.

As the Light Touch series matured, we freshened it up by swapping out the names (summer run, etc..) w/ actual model numbers such as LT9678, which was the same exact model as the “Summer Run”, just w/ a new model number.

If it’s Powell and green it’s definitely Light Touch, if its 9’6” 7-8 in a 2 piece it’s definitely a Summer Run or LT9678, same animal, different name."

Janos
03-25-2013, 10:20 AM
I fished a Summer Run in the early 90's and liked it very much. Doc, I emailed you an offer, please let me know.

pvsprme
03-26-2013, 07:59 AM
Interesting in that I have a 2-piece Powell in a brown color marked LTSH 96 Lines 7-8. 186-7. Has a short, removable fighting butt and uplocking aluminum reel seat. I bought this rod from Rich and believe he said the "186-7" denoted a build date of 1987. I presumed the LTSH stood for steelhead, but recently was told it means shooting head. It's become one of my standby rods, throws a 7 weight Wulff Ambush or an 8 weight AS/Steelhead line very nicely.

Rich Morrison
03-26-2013, 12:55 PM
That's a negative on the shooting head - you were correct in your thinking. LTSH meant light steelhead, or 7-8wt.
Rich

fishdoc1
03-26-2013, 06:21 PM
The Powell rod has been sold.