PDA

View Full Version : Lefty Kreh's first Bonefish on a fly........

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-07-2013, 05:41 PM
http://bit.ly/13IO2i7

john
03-08-2013, 12:28 PM
That's a reprint from his 2008 book. As much as I respect him as a person, innovator, and fisher, that's the worst edited book I've read. His life has been and is "this big", but that book's handlers did him a disservice.

Garfly
03-08-2013, 08:35 PM
That's a reprint from his 2008 book. As much as I respect him as a person, innovator, and fisher, that's the worst edited book I've read. His life has been and is "this big", but that book's handlers did him a disservice.

John , I'm wanting to expand my library of fishing books and am curious as to what you are referring to..?Please elaborate...

john
03-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Here's the deal. I learned to cast from Lefty's videos, esp. "Lessons with Lefty". I learned how to tie knots and leaders from the book he wrote with Mark Sosin. Over the years I learned, in bits and pieces, about his life and road to success. I've seen him once, at a casting clinic in MPLS/STP. I also share his passion for SMB.

I knew a little about his marksman skills, his Battle of the Bulge experience, his time with MET, the Baltimore Sun, the books/tutorials, his "tinkering" always making/improving something, etc.

The book has a heartfelt forward from Dan Blanton, and an equally eloquant intro from Nick Lyons. You can't do any better.

It (the book) should/could have been 500+ pages, rather than 262.
But really--"Tourneffe" Islands, "Las Rocas".

It's a book worth having, and you'll learn alot---there is an instructional element to it. If it's "the" Lefty book, well there it is. Guess I was just hoping for more.

vernonp
03-11-2013, 08:14 PM
John.....if you learned to cast with those videos I've got to get them! How are you brother? We've got to get together. I'm headed down to Placencia in a few hours on a wife vacation. I will of course carry a few rods. Come down and go redfishing sometimes. Bring the missus and we can go Zydeco dancing.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Lefty is at the stage in his career where "Lefty's Best Cornbread Recipes" would sell a bunch of copies. I've never had the pleasure but a buddy in my fishing club ran in to Lefty on a plane. My buddy was new to fly fishing and really couldn't place lefty at first. After an hour they were best friends. With all the egos in this sport, it is great to have a selfless guy like Lefty on the Marquee. I would love to see the guy cast.