PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on the season?

JasonB
03-03-2013, 04:29 PM
I am curious what the more seasoned steelhead types think about this seasons run, specifically are there likely still some fresh fish on the way with this next little splash of rain we're supposed to get? Went last week, thinking it would be my final shot at some steelhead given how dismal the precip has been this past month (or so). Let's just say that what little action there was I managed to blow due to lack of experience, focus, or perhaps moral righteousness ... dunno but it was tough to say the least.

I would LOVE just 1 more decent chance at actually landing a winter steelhead, hell at this point I'd be happy just to have another decent tussle or two. I had heard some rumors to the extent that at least some of the smaller coastal streams were kind of done, but I don't really know enough about any of them to know if that's likely the case or not. Seems like at least the Smith or Eel would likely still have some fish waiting to come in??? I know that the Trinity will probably still have some fish around but I'm really more interested in being a lot closer to the coast. Curious what your thoughts might be...
JB

Darian
03-03-2013, 05:08 PM
There's plenty of fish in valley rivers to try for. Maybe they've got lockjaw. I have nothing to offer on the quantity of this years run as it isn't over yet.

I can tell you that, historically, most if not all of the CA coastal rivers/streams experience runs through the end of March, peaking in February. One of the best days I experienced was on the last rainy/stormy day of the season in a tiny coastal stream where I caught/released 3 fish ranging from 6 to about 11 pounds. In those days everything closed on February 28th. Unless they changed it, there's lots of info on timing of runs available on the DFW website.

Of course, in a dry year like this one is shaping up to be, most of those same CA rivers/streams will have a sandbar built up at the mouth and are subject to low flow closures. They're probably closed. Check the regs before going and if going further north, call the Eureka Fly Shop or maybe Jason Hartwick for info on whether anybody's trying. DFW lists a couple of phone numbers in the regs to check for closures.

It's all about timing over there. If it's raining, watch the flow levels, call DFW to see if a water you're interested in is open and be ready to go as it could close again quickly.

Good luck.... :cool:

JasonB
03-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Don't think lack of water will be any issue for at least a couple of days, if the forecast is even remotely correct. And yeah I know there's fish in the valley streams, not at all what I'm looking for though. Call me a hopeless romantic, but the thought of stumbling my way through redwood groves to free flowing streams with the potential for chrome steelhead fresh from the sea is pretty hard to substitute for fishing in the suburbs on a dam controlled river in the flatlands. I have the good fortune of flexible time right now, so if it seems that there might be some more steelhead coming in from the ocean still I should be on the coast.

and yes, thanks for the well wishes of luck; I'll certainly need heaps and heaps of that. (I've lost count of the number of days that I've been trying to land one this winter... still a big fat zero so far)
JB

Darian
03-03-2013, 06:48 PM
Don't feel bad. I've had a few seasons where I didn't get a lot of fish, too. It a;ways seems to come around if you keep at it.

Being flexible is a big factor in your favor.... :cool:

JasonB
03-03-2013, 07:12 PM
Nah, I don't feel "bad" per se. I actually had several of what I consider my "best" days fishing this winter for steelhead, even if I got skunked. "Best" meaning many things, but in this case I mean most satisfying time on beautiful rivers, as well as feeling really really happy with how well I was fishing. I'm choosing to disregard the critique of those pesky steelhead, I still feel more than happy with how well I was fishing on most of the days I went out this winter. Given my experience, equipment, and conditions I'm not sure I could have asked for more... the steel will just have to come when they see the light.
:cool:
JB

EricO
03-05-2013, 10:35 PM
Nah, I don't feel "bad" per se. I actually had several of what I consider my "best" days fishing this winter for steelhead, even if I got skunked. "Best" meaning many things, but in this case I mean most satisfying time on beautiful rivers, as well as feeling really really happy with how well I was fishing. I'm choosing to disregard the critique of those pesky steelhead, I still feel more than happy with how well I was fishing on most of the days I went out this winter. Given my experience, equipment, and conditions I'm not sure I could have asked for more... the steel will just have to come when they see the light.
:cool:
JB

Agreed Jason. I actually haven't put in much time this year, and it shows by my numbers. But I've had a few short sleeve shirt days in the sun, chilled out with friends, so it didn't matter.

I always go out expecting to catch a fish though.

EO

baldeagleflyfishing
03-11-2013, 10:31 PM
went out today on the ameican and landed a clean wild steelhead and a darker hatchery fish in shortsleeves w/ no one on the river.