PDA

View Full Version : 8lber 1st cast

mems
03-03-2013, 01:34 AM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/mems15/028_zps9618cf87.jpg
Aloha, I was on Oahu for a couple of days on a teaching assignment. I got to hit triangle flat in the afternoon one day with 25 knot wind. Tough conditions, but I got lucky and saw this fish feeding. I flicked the fly in front of his nose and was off to the races for a couple of nice runs. There are bones and then there are big bones. Hope you all have a good spring fishing, Mems

jbird
03-03-2013, 05:23 AM
Yeah boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David Lee
03-03-2013, 10:33 AM
WOW !!

Let me know if you want to adopt an old , ugly child .... maybe some of your big Fish Ju-Ju will rub off on me .

D.~

Darian
03-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Aloha Don,.... What a way to spend a break in work and on the first cast, too. I'm envious.... :cool:

mems
03-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Thanks guys, getting a bone on Oahu is pretty tough. They are big and see a lot of pressure. It is nice to get one that is actively feeding. Nice thing about Oahu, most of the bones you see are on the average of 5lbs and above. I spooked one that was easily 12lbs. If they ever made it a catch and release fishery then it would be world class. David you can fish with me anytime, take care, Don.

okkabausa
03-03-2013, 10:53 PM
Nice fish, can you provide the exact location where to fish and selected flies to use .Is it do it yourself?

Thanks,

Mario

mems
03-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Hey Mario, exact location- triangle flat. This fish was tailing next to the center set of mangroves. The fly is in the fishes mouth, white mantis shrimp. I would call Mike Hennessy and book a day with him or one of the other guides. You need a boat or to rent a kayak to get to triangle flat. Once you know where the fish are it is more fun to sight them yourself. There are other flats that you can easily DIY, but it is always easier with a guide to help sight fish for you. When they are actively feeding any fly will work. Good luck, Mems.