PDA

View Full Version : Galen Geller - "Oregon Salmon" - passed away last weekend @ 52 years old.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-28-2013, 04:43 PM
This is a very sad thing......

Galen grew up around my shop and lived in Arden Park near Watt Avenue. He was very smart with a very high IQ. He has a degree in Econometrics from UC Santa Barbra. He lived most of his life in Seaside, Oregon tying flies for Alaskan Lodges and our shop.

Marilyn and I were very close to him and we always tried to be there for moral support.

Galen's Face Book page:

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/galen.geller?fref=ts

Ed Wahl
02-28-2013, 05:12 PM
That's sad news indeed Bill.

I always looked forward to reading his posts, what a sense of humor.

Ed

David Lee
02-28-2013, 05:35 PM
52 years old ....

I always enjoyed reading his posts and talking with him . He will be missed .

D.~

Larry S
02-28-2013, 05:55 PM
Wow, this is very sad. I always look forward to meeting up with him. We had some great discussions via PM and
email. His sense of humor and ability to express it was incredible; Richard Brautigan comes to mind. I'm sure he could piss
a lot of folks off, but, he always did this with a wink of the eye. I'll really miss his humor, wisdom, and presence. For
Kiene members that don't remember him, do a search for some of his posts. RIP Galen - "Oregon Salmon."

Larry S
02-28-2013, 06:08 PM
Here's a little of Galen's mind set -
http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?13252-Bill-King-in-Oregon
Best,
Larry S

SHigSpeed
02-28-2013, 06:14 PM
He'll be missed... Never met him or spoke to him, but I did always read his whimsical posts. Never really figured out how much of them were based on reality and what was fantasy, but it didn't really matter.

_SHig

Larry S
02-28-2013, 06:44 PM
Here's more of Galen - 'Oregon Salmon."
http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?25854-My-usaul-nonsense&p=110794&highlight=#post110794
Best, Larry S

jbird
02-28-2013, 06:44 PM
Oh no! This is so shocking and sad! He added such a colorful flavor to this forum. Good bye Galen, Im sure youre happy to be rid of that meddling neighbor of yours :)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-28-2013, 08:34 PM
Galen grew up at the shop and my brother Dick and I took him and his other teenage friends, Paul Keel and Phil Romig, to the Pit River about 30 years ago. Galen was always fun to be around.

We had some great times back in those days.....

Darian
02-28-2013, 10:10 PM
Sorry to hear this news.... Galen was a bright spot here. RIP Galen.... :-(

Walter
03-03-2013, 12:03 PM
I'm very sorry to hear this. Galen probably provided some of the best writing I have ever set eyes on.

JasonB
03-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Wow, 52 seems way too young! Especially for a guy who seemed so full of life. His posts were always entertaining, and usually crossed the line just enough to offend the easily offended, but not so far as to actually do any harm to anyone. His sense of humor was tack sharp, and I always loved reading his lyrical wanderings. Too sad indeed...
RIP

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Caldwell’s Luce-Layton Mortuary in Astoria, Oregon is in charge of the arrangements.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-08-2013, 06:21 PM
6671Here is a photo on the Skagit River about 20 years ago.

Left to right: Marc Doust, Galen Geller and Mike McCune

Galen and Mike grew up around our fly shop.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-08-2013, 06:23 PM
6672Another photo on the Skagit River

Left to right: Chris Pasley and Galen Geller

Chris and Galen grew up around our fly shop.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Galen's father, Galen Geller Sr, was a serious Steelhead chaser and the manager of the California Tree Fruit Agreement.

We loved to listen to him talk about the 'old days' when he and a band of fishing friends owned some property on the Middle Fork of the Eel River so they could have access to those wild summer Steelhead. I think it was just after WW II because they used bait casting reels with small pieces of fresh roe. Mr Geller said they would sneak up to the top of a hole and cast right where the water came into them. He said those crazy fish would come up out of those holes and fight over the bait.

Mr Geller always had an outboard jet boat that they used on the Lower Klamath River for years, then they migrated up to the Lower Rogue River. Galen Jr told stories of the Steelhead that would run up into the colder Illinois River when years ago the lower Rogue River would get very warm in the early fall. There is a road running along the Illinois River so they would take a small military surplus raft up river and float down. Galen said the river was small in September and you could stop the raft at each riffle to spot the fish. They used trout fly rods with small flies and sight cast above the holding fish. They dammed up the Rogue River in the 1970s create a deep reservoir to cool off the lower river and that ended this fishing for the most part.

Larry S
03-09-2013, 05:08 PM
Bill,
Your sign off use the same letters as "rolling on floor now." Galen had the power in his writings to do that. Always
feel that I missed out not getting up into his neck of woods and sharing some laughs. I really appreciate your
posting those pictures. Now I can put a face to his words. Spey casters will recognize Mike McCune as the "M"
in Rio's MOW tips.
Galen had talked recently about property on the Eel.
Good stuff, Bill.
Best,
Larry S

Larry S
03-09-2013, 05:17 PM
Here's one more to share.
Best,
Larry S

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?22790-The-Salmonberry

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-07-2013, 07:45 AM
Galen's Obituary

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sacbee/obituary.aspx?n=galen-john-geller&pid=163879898#fbLoggedOut

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-07-2013, 07:50 AM
Marilyn and I went to a nice memorial service for Galen yesterday in the south bay at his sister Maryann's home.

It was just family and friends who gathered to celebrate his life here with us.

Some of his fishing friends where there too. My brother Dick Kiene, and life long high school friends and fishing partners Paul Keel and Phil Romig.

Galen was good at everything he did. He was a very good golfer, great at tennis, a top angler and world class fly tier.

It got emotional at times but then some told great stories of the fun we all had with Galen over the years.

We all agreed that he had more good days than most and he will be missed by many.

Larry S
04-07-2013, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the info, Bill. The old saying - "when they made him, they threw away the mold" - certainly fit him to
a "T." I regret never getting up to see him. As biting and hilarious as many of his writings could be, it always seemed
to me that there was a plea(?) for folks to head north to Seaside. His life and writing reminds me of Sheridan
Anderson and Richard Brautigan. Helps to have a drink in hand when these guys enter your mind!
RIP Galen (Oregon Salmon)
Best,
Larry S

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-14-2020, 05:09 AM
Galen Geller is still on my mind.

Grew up around our shop and was a special person to many.

When I retired I planned on going up to Seaside, Oregon for some Clam Linguine with him.

Darian
07-14-2020, 11:43 AM
Good memories.... :cool::cool::cool:

Larry S
07-15-2020, 07:38 AM
Bill,
Your post elicits many memories of Galen and his humor. BTY,
one of the commenters to your original post was SHigSpeed.
Folks might be interested in clicking on his user name and read
some of his posts.
Both of these people were taken from us way too early.
RIP both Galen and SHig!
Larry S
Sun Diego