PDA

View Full Version : I might go try the Truckee..........

winxp_man
02-26-2013, 10:05 PM
Are early morning any good yet? I'm most likely going with a friend but he has to be back in town in the afternoon by about 4. So morning fishing is what we can do. Will it be worth to get out there for some early fishing?

Thanks for info.

TyV
02-26-2013, 11:17 PM
I was out on Sunday early. It was warming but still a bit chilly with ice in guides until 1-2pm. Early fishing started pretty slowly. I would imagine with the warmer weather this week it will improve in the mornings. Even with the slower start I managed to hook 11 fish by around 2:30pm. PM me if you want more details.

Fish_ON

Frank R. Pisciotta
02-27-2013, 10:46 AM
Fish-ON---I was going to reply..."no"...to winxp-man's question. But then I saw your reply. Hey you are doing something right if you hooked eleven (11) fish in your session that lasted until 2:30 PM. Most hooked after 12PM?

I was going to suggest the optimum times from noon-3PM. I'm assuming nymphing early-on and then the longer-shot for dries later...or continue sub-surface.

It was 24 degrees (air temps) at 8AM with sun this morning at my place at 6500'; shouldn't be that much warmer at stream level in town and on river....

Frank R. Pisciotta

TyV
02-27-2013, 01:23 PM
Frank, 4 hook ups before noon and 7 after. 4 on streamers swung low n slow 7 on nymphs. Pre noon fish mostly later morning. Very little hatch activity n no fish on surface that I saw. A few size 20 baetis, a few midges and only one adult female winter stone were seen, that's it. Oh, I actually had two fish rise for my indicator earlier in the day as well pre-11am. That doesnt happen very often for me on the Truckee. one actually ate the indicator. Guessing the skwala bite is close???

bigfly
02-28-2013, 11:37 AM
Fish_on...
Glad you got out!
I keep saying the fish are there, if you want them bad enough....(Where are they gonna go?)

"Bobber eating fish", is something we see a lot of up here.
Don't assume it's because of the Skwallas though (if you did), the fish will do it any time of the year.
I have no idea why (and I've been watching that for more than twenty years...).
Really big browns are notorious for doing it.
Seeing this, just shatters a beginner who is doubting there are any fish in the river.....or even a guy who knows they are in there.
Indy flies aren't a bad idea.......or floating a giant egg pattern?????? (Think yarn egg...)
(I didn't say that......)

Winxp, I can't say it's just casting practice if you go early, no bugs out then, but I sometimes swing a streamer before light hits the water.
Just don't pull it away from them, if you get a grab......(Strip-set, strip-set...............a rod-set takes it way, away from them).
And if they let go of it (short takes are common with spooky/cold fish)......feed it to them (insta-slack)...I often get a follow up grab doing this. I think, they think, that they've stunned it.....
Of course, for my money, this is one of the hardest things to do in fly fishing.......
Good fishing to ya....

Jim

winxp_man
03-02-2013, 04:35 PM
Well I was out there on Thursday and it was great weather. My friend and I ended up fishing the Little Truckee and sa fish rise and I managed to see a couple close to the shore. But in the end there was a bunch of little brown stoneflies hatching and I managed to not tie one single fly that looks even close to them.

There was quite a few fishing rising at the top for the stones and the dry fly I had that had the darkest colors was a light olive color I tied the night before. I had one nice tug but it let go really fast in this opening where my friend saw a couple rise. I will be planning to get out there again this time with quite a few different types of dry colors and will try some nymphs in the deeper pools. The upper end section was really low so dies are what will be best if you have the right colors. Either way it was a blast going out and hiking about two miles down stream and back to the car. :D

jmccandless
03-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Is it safe to assume that the rod to the LT is clear of snow? (or, at least it was when you went.)???

Morgan
03-06-2013, 01:52 PM
Is it safe to assume that the rod to the LT is clear of snow? (or, at least it was when you went.)???

It may have been. But probably not anymore. We"re gettn snow now. SOme much needed snow. C'mon Miracle march!

winxp_man
03-06-2013, 02:40 PM

When my friend and I went up there there was no was to take a Honda style car up there. We were in a Subaru Impreza. Now like jmccandless said with this much needed storm there will be a need of a truck up on the LT road.