PDA

View Full Version : Surf Perch Tournament

jersey
02-26-2013, 01:57 PM
http://www.theletsgofishingradioshow.com

Would anyone like to partner up?? I have patterns and experience in the suds...

Lance Gray
02-26-2013, 06:04 PM
I would love to, but have already made other plans (Lower Sac guiding). A great event!

Have fun

Ned Morris
02-26-2013, 06:07 PM
Me too as I got Stinson Down fairly well over past year however I am spoken for that weekend clamming up north. Mmmm Razor Clams!!!!!! Good luck Jersey and count me in next time!

SHigSpeed
02-26-2013, 06:18 PM
Sounds like a fun event! I'd like to do it some time, but it's a bad weekend for me.

_SHig

jersey
02-26-2013, 09:46 PM
c'mon boys...

Is a bribe out of order here???

Larry S
02-27-2013, 01:41 PM
I have some personal reservations about the timing of these perch derbies. An Oceanside tackle shop
always holds one for a month or so at this time of the year. The surf perch are live-bearers and it's
quite common to catch a female loaded with babies. Depending on conditions, I've seen them dropping
babies from late Feb thru mid April. Stands to reason that a bigger(heavier) fish might very well be a
pregnant perch. Taking that fish out of the ocean seems like a selfish and short sighted thing to do. You
not only remove the female but fifty or more perch fry.
Why not have these derbies at a time when this is not an issue? End of rant.
Best,
Larry S

jersey
02-27-2013, 05:11 PM
Saw that on another site too and looking at the tide table for the 9th doesn't spell great fishing in the morning either...low tide at 400pmish.

Gear guys are to kill the fish for weigh-ins, but fly guys take pictures at this event for C&R. Am I missing something here? Anyway, maybe its a weekend to go some place new and different with the kids.

Thanks for the look-see and appreciate the feed back guys.

Larry S
02-27-2013, 05:45 PM
jersey,
Don't mean to rain on your parade. No disrespect intended and a one day event won't have much of an impact. I surf fish
2 or 3 days a week and have absolutely no problem with someone taking home a meal. Used to see a guy in his 80's
down at La Jolla Farms - quite a climb and hike - and he would take home a few. I guess my problem is having these
contests lasting for a month or more right when the birthing process is going on. If one or two out of 50+ perch fry
survive that helps perpetuate the species.
Wish you well,
Larry S

jersey
02-27-2013, 08:22 PM
no sweat brother. 20 plus years in customer service and sales, I have made it to unoffendable!! Joe Q Public is nuts or rather entertaining with the right mind-set...

you have posted quite a few very good tid bits of surf action and we do appreciate it. coupla more photos of patterns wouldn't hurt

thanks so much for the kind gesture too