PDA

View Full Version : Streamer Line

Rossflyguy
02-21-2013, 09:55 PM
Anyone can help me with suggestions on streamer line for rivers like the Yuba, Truckee, etc.?

Scott V
02-22-2013, 08:29 AM
I use a shooting head on a floating line. Cheap and easy since you probably already have a floating line.

Adam Grace
02-22-2013, 09:39 AM
Rossflyguy, if you are serious about streamer fishing for trout on rivers like that we at Kiene's will usually recommend a full line with an integrated 15' sinking tip. A type 6 sink rate will be nice and fast for the deeper water, type 3 usually isn't deep enough for faster, deeper runs. If you live locally stop by the shop and check out our large selection of fly lines.

I like to fish streamers and I have a 15' tip line but I only fish it if I am sure that I am going to stick with fishing streamers for a good chunk of time. When I am not expecting to fish streamers I carry 10' fast sinking trout Polyleaders with my to loop-to-loop to the end of my all-purpose. Then I can cast a streamer and get it to sink down to the fish. Casting the polyleaders is not nearly as easy as casting a full sinktip line but it is a less expensive alternative.

John Sv
02-22-2013, 12:58 PM
I have a SA Wet-tip deep water express that I am pretty happy with...

Rossflyguy
02-22-2013, 03:36 PM
I have a rod dedicated to only streamers. There are a few diff type of lines. Some clear, camo, dark colored, vetsi tips, just too many options. If like an intermediate and then a faster sinking line. Just trying to figure out what others have good experiences with.

Larry S
02-22-2013, 05:29 PM
RFG,
Sent you a PM.
Best,
Larry S

jbird
02-22-2013, 05:57 PM
If you want it from the horses mouth, read up on Kelly Galloups articles and watch his videos. He's kinda the king of streamers for big trout.

Further North
02-22-2013, 08:24 PM
If you want it from the horses mouth, read up on Kelly Galloups articles and watch his videos. He's kinda the king of streamers for big trout.

I went this route - and the technique for fishing works great (you've seen that Kelly Galloup streamer rod I have from St. Croix), the only place I've veered off Galloup's path is with the line - I found the sinking line he favors to be too much of a hassle to fish and have moved to a sink tip (or to SA's new Hover line, which you'll like......).

I bought a set up similar to the one you fished on Long Lake with interchangeable tips, one of which is a clear intermediate, this winter and am anxious to try it out on toothy critters....