PDA

View Full Version : Areas to avoid on the American River?

Alosa
02-14-2013, 10:23 PM
I've got a new spey rod and I am looking to get some casting and swinging practice in this weekend somewhere on the American River where I also might be lucky enough to hook into a fish. I'm driving in from Santa Cruz, so it's not small investment of travel time to get there. I've had my car broken into before at the Harrington access and items stolen and I've heard that other spots (e.g., Sailor Bar) are bad areas. I was given advice that the Gristmill access would be a good spot to spend a day casting/swinging my spey setup, but I am concerned about my car (even though I had valuables out of sight). Is that area safe, and are there other areas that I should definitely avoid?

Thanks in advance.

rubberguy
02-14-2013, 10:43 PM
i had my window broke @ gristmill in sept. (shoulda left car unlocked) there's always WATT AVE.
locks are for honest people. i think no where is 100% without worries. maybe Capitola! LOL

Adam Grace
02-14-2013, 11:09 PM
I wish that I could tell you that there is a safe spot on the American but I can't..... they are not all high-risk spots but some are more risky and know for break-ins. I have parked at Watt Ave and fished there many dozens of times over the span of over 10 years without incident, yet I could be broken into next time....

I would recommend Watt. It's not too hard to peak around and check out your car from time to time if you park near the bridge. Plus the river section there below the bridge is perfect for spey casting.

BillB
02-15-2013, 09:54 AM
I was going to be really smart, which I try to be only occasionally, and park up stream of the Watt bridge so my car doors wouldn't get dinged. I suffered a broken window and the loss of a nice Kelty back pack with my clothes in it and son-in-laws suit case. The punks didn't touch a Sage 7 wt., gear bag of fly boxes and spare reels and my son-in-laws wallet he stashed under the gear. Guess that was a case when I should have sought out the crowds!

DAVID95670
02-15-2013, 09:59 AM
Park outside of the parks and walk perhaps .5 mile at most ..... if you are concerned with break in. or just leave everything out of the car and leave your windows open ..... like a convertable ... i fish these spots 250 days a year and no break in. i park in the lots and leave nothing in the car for all the break ins reported there and 100 times more parked without incident

Woodman
02-15-2013, 07:31 PM
I like to park in the Carmichael neighborhoods at Harrington or Jacob Lane. Seems safer then the parkway lots.

Alosa
02-18-2013, 11:33 PM
Alright, so I fished at several spots on Sunday (Gristmill, Goethe Park, and Watt Ave.) with no break ins, and no fish to hand. So much for the fishing (lots of spey casting practice), but at least my property wasn't damaged. I took the advice about parking in neighborhoods and walking in. Seems to have worked. Thanks for the advice