PDA

View Full Version : New Rod! Need help with a matching Reel!

FlyFishingNewb
02-14-2013, 04:11 PM
I just received a G-Loomis RoaringRiver Dredger GLX Line Weight: 8/9 Weight
Rod Length: 13'9" for my birthday and I need help picking a reel to match this beast! I am currently looking at a Galvan Torque T-12. Thanks everyone.

Mark Kranhold
02-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Where will you be fishing this rod? The reason why I ask is that I owned a torque-12 and it failed in icy,cold,wet climates...which is your typical winter steelhead waters. They are a great reel for a more warmer dry climate ( out of a boat in the salt). That is my experience and just wanted to let you know.I was pretty bummed out finding this out in B.C. wiith a fish on and having my reel free spool and backlash on me. I thought to my self there went $500 bucks. Sent it back, got it back, and backlashes on me again! Sold it! You can't go wrong with a Hardy marquis #3, Lamson, or of you want to spend a little more..go with a Hatch plus 9 midarbor. My thoughts, good luck!

FlyFishingNewb
02-14-2013, 05:34 PM
In the american river at Sacramento. But I do plan on going other places in the future. I will take a look at the ones you suggested and thanks Mark!

troutless
02-14-2013, 09:59 PM
Another thing to think about...the Torque is designed as a light reel. This is not necessarily an advantage with a longer, heavy spey rod.

I do fish a T-12 from time to time, on somewhat lighter and shorter rods than you describe. But I've also never had the pleasure of being spooled by a winter BC fish.

Adam Grace
02-14-2013, 11:30 PM
I have a Torque and luckily it hasn't offered me any problems but I do not get to all of the cool places like Mark. I also have owned a Lamson-Waterworks reel and I love them! The drags are smooth and they are well built. I highly recommend Lamson reels! The classics like Hardy offer a classy looks and feel as well :)

winxp_man
02-14-2013, 11:43 PM
Lamson Guru 4 has power to stop I would say any fish you would fly fish for in fresh water and not break down on you. Most leader lines will break before the reel will go bad. Also gotta love the fact that the Lamson reels have LifeTime Warranty :)

Mine had caught plenty of fish and not one problem!

FlyFishingNewb
02-15-2013, 12:56 AM
What do you guys think of lamson lite speed 3.5?

Mark Kranhold
02-15-2013, 05:56 AM
For your 8/9 13' 9" go with the 4. These reels are light so you will want to balance it out with the 4. Lamson has a new Spey/ salt specific reel out called the ARX. You can also add a bit of leadcore on the spool before the backing to help get the balancing point you desire.

FlyFishingNewb
02-15-2013, 02:12 PM
Thanks Mark. I will look into getting a 4 and looking at the ARX

hwchubb
02-18-2013, 08:57 AM
I'm a little biased, as I've fished mostly Hardys now for, ouch, 35 years, and in that time I had one $2.00 spring break on an old Marquis 5 after about 20 years. I fish a Marquis Salmon 1 on my 13 7/8 Meiser, and have never found it to be too light, although a Salmon 2 wouldn't be bad either. They are old school - palming rim rather than a disc (I've gotten so used to them that I prefer it to a disc drag), and a sound that some of my fishing buddies hate, but tens of thousands of steelhead and Atlantics have been landed on them in the last 100 years. Plus, only three things on this earth sound exactly the way they should - a baby's laugh, a Harley, and a Hardy click and pawl reel. Have fun!

Terry Thomas
02-19-2013, 08:50 AM
As much as we all love to place our rod and reel in the water next to that beautiful steelhead, this is can lead to drag failures and reel handle problems down the the road. Yes, I know many companies claim their drags are "fully sealed." Stuff happens!! I talked to Bill Archelata not long ago and his advice was....never put your reels in the water.

hwchubb
02-19-2013, 09:11 AM
Bill's not bhinking about repeat business, clearly...

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-19-2013, 10:04 AM
Hardy Marquis Salmon No 2 is very popular with a click-n-pawl drag and rim drag.

The Waterworks LiteSpeed 4 would have a real drag for very large fish.

With a bigger reel you can also get lots of 30# Dacron backing on it.

Bigger diameter reels have a faster line pick up too.

FlyFishingNewb
02-20-2013, 10:59 AM
thanks for the wonderful advice everyone!

DAVID95670
02-21-2013, 03:52 PM
What do you guys think of lamson lite speed 3.5? i have the hard anodized litespeed 3.5 and it handle Salmon over 30# and Steelhead to #17. love it, love the open reel so that you can palm it and leave the drag lite when swinging ... lets the fish grab and turn then palm or tighten drag with a finger love it....fished the Hardy Bougle IV Salmon ... do not like the enclosed reel ...hard to palm especially since the hardy has such a light drag to begin with .... i am sold on Lamson litespeed

FlyFishingNewb
02-25-2013, 01:47 PM
Got a reel coming and another one soon. will update. thanks everyone for the advice!