PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a bass Tracker vs Roughneck

Garrett S Realtor
02-13-2013, 05:42 PM
My original plan was to get a roughneck or grizzly that I would be using to chase stiper on the feather and american and also duck hunting. Then I saw this, http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/3614665018.html, and was hoping to get some input on the down side with going with this boat.

Garrett S Realtor
02-13-2013, 05:46 PM
I guess the roughneck would be a stronger aluminum????

TaylerW
02-13-2013, 06:15 PM
i wouldnt get a lowe roughneck, check out the g3 jons, their 1648 with a yamaha or evinrude 35 flies with two people and a jet pump. i ran lowes for a while in ak and like the g3's way more.....

just my 0.02

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-14-2013, 06:50 AM
Some of the best Jon boats are 'all welded' (no rivets to leak) plus the heavy duty ones are usually made of 0.100" thick aluminum.

After that you have the bottom contour with some being flat and other having a v-bottom of 3 to 6 degrees. The flat bottoms are good for rivers but they do slide some on corners. The v-bottoms help a little in open water when there is a chop.

The bottom width at the rear of the boat on a 16 footer can go from 48" to 55" which effects stability.

Then you have decking and flooring to consider.

Jet or prop...?

Tiller, side or center console?

Scott V
02-14-2013, 08:50 AM
Stay away from a riveted boat, that is all the advise I can give.

JAWallace
02-16-2013, 11:26 AM
Before you get too interested in a Bass Tracker, you really need to do a water test. Although the hull was changed about 10 years ago, the older ones can be incredibly unstable. I fished off one with a friend several years ago, and absolutely hated it. It isn't the primary stability; it's the secondary that can put you in the water before you know what happened.

I'm referring to the 17' bass boat styles, where the chine is razor thin. Anyone weighing more than 150 lbs. stepping port or starboard of the center line with another person at roughly the same distance from the sides will put the gunwale within 2" of the water FAST and maybe you in the water the next second. It's a very poor design and dangerous. They are OK for one person or one adult and one child and they have great utility.

There are three riveted boats I'd consider.Those are Lund, Crestliner, and Smokercraft. You have to buy those used because in our area welded rules, and your resale will be hurt with rivets. The truth is that if they leak they can easily be fixed, and over time they will. The cheaper riveted boats with thin gauge aluminum should be avoided.

Bass Trackers are lower quality boats, riveted or welded. The hull may be fine in some models, but the assemblies and especially the upholstery are of marginal quality and sustainability. They are cheap for a reason, and they're a huge seller too with some happy owners. For a budget boat they're OK if you care for them and always keep them covered or garaged. For resale and sustainability I'd go with a G3 or used Roughneck.

Garrett S Realtor
02-19-2013, 11:14 AM
Thanks Guys, went with a 2006 War Eagle 1758 with an antique of a motor, a 1965 Mercury Jet 65hp.

My dream garage

JAWallace
02-19-2013, 11:22 AM
That is a great looking setup! War Eagle is a new one to me, looks good. Those old Mercs are.......quite a memory. The classic "bucket of bolts" as they are loud and FAST. That's still the small bore, long stroke model that Merc used for years. I'd use more oil than recommended in the fuel mix and if you take care of her she'll last a long time. I had that motor in 40, 50, and 60 hp and had a love/hate relationship with all of them, but looking back they were fun, fast, and definitely had personality!

TaylerW
02-19-2013, 07:42 PM
klamath!!!! with a bit of training that thing will be great on the klamath and lower smith.....