PDA

View Full Version : Surf Zone

Bryan Morgan
02-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Any thoughts on an 8wt. being overkill for Surf Perch and or whatever along the Cambria area. And would a fast sinking integrated head do the job. Any info would be appreciated. Never tried it, but going to soon.

Larry S
02-10-2013, 09:20 AM
Bryan,
Sent a PM.
Larry S

Jimmie
02-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Bryan, I'm envious! I lived in Cambria for 5 years (the end of the '70's) but I didn't know anything about flyfishing the salt then. I did fly fish San Simon Ck and Santa Rosa creek for the small trout (baby steelhead perhaps). I usually use an 8 wt with a Tenny 300 when fly fishing the surf (as taught to me by Ken Hanley). Good Luck!! Let us know how it turned out

ps: The beach areas between Morro Rock and Cayucos can be good

Scott V
02-10-2013, 07:48 PM
I use a 7 weight with shooting heads. T14 and type 8 is what I use.

BillB
02-10-2013, 08:10 PM
Hey Brian. I fish the Morro Bay area on a regular basis as I have a place there. I toss a 7 wt. Xi2 and ROS type 6. Seems to work okay on the Strand. Just south of Cambria is some decent Halibut water where an 8 could be beneficial, however, I have yet to feel under gunned with the 7.

k.hanley
02-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Howdy Brian,

I have always recommended using 7 or 8-weights for our Pacific surf zone. The reason being is that you need to negotiate the environmental conditions first before you stand a chance at catching something. Basically the intense hydraulics, possible high winds, unstable casting platform (always sinking in the sand and getting knocked around), and trying to present your fly generally subsurface is a very demanding set of conditions.

Heck if we picked our flyrods because of the perch then all you would need is 2-weight. The problem I see with the lighter rods is that they limit your ability to truly explore the waters in front of you. They limit the line weight, which limits the ability to negotiate anything other than perfectly calm conditions (which don't exist on most of our outings).

Anyway that's a super quick note on why I recommend the 7 and 8 outfits. I believe they give you the best chance to move up and down our coastal environs and stay in the game on most days of the year.

Whatever you decide to do, be smart, and be safe.

Cheers, Ken

Bryan Morgan
02-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Thanks Ken, maybe a Great White will be lurking. Ha Ha.

k.hanley
02-11-2013, 06:51 PM
Say hey Bryan,
Back in the 80's a buddy of mine (Gregg Jones) had a close encounter with a young great white in the surf zone. The shark was feeding on sea lion pups in the suds (in about three feet of water depth). Waaaaay to close for Gregg's comfort!

Eeeeeyow!
Cheers, Ken

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-11-2013, 07:02 PM
Yikes......that would be just my luck.

donkeyhunter007
02-11-2013, 10:08 PM
If it is windy where you will be fishing consider an 8wt.

David Lee
02-12-2013, 09:21 AM
Howdy Brian,

I have always recommended using 7 or 8-weights for our Pacific surf zone. The reason being is that you need to negotiate the environmental conditions first before you stand a chance at catching something. Basically the intense hydraulics, possible high winds, unstable casting platform (always sinking in the sand and getting knocked around), and trying to present your fly generally subsurface is a very demanding set of conditions.

Heck if we picked our flyrods because of the perch then all you would need is 2-weight. The problem I see with the lighter rods is that they limit your ability to truly explore the waters in front of you. They limit the line weight, which limits the ability to negotiate anything other than perfectly calm conditions (which don't exist on most of our outings).

Anyway that's a super quick note on why I recommend the 7 and 8 outfits. I believe they give you the best chance to move up and down our coastal environs and stay in the game on most days of the year.

Whatever you decide to do, be smart, and be safe.

Cheers, Ken

Ken is 100% on the mark , as usual .

Your choice in lines will follow this - when undertow , N/S swell and surf , and wind become less than friendly ... the ONLY line that will allow contact with your fly will be a mono running line . Everything else will bow in the suds and you won't feel hits . A Mono runner with leadcore isn't always the 'best' choice .... but it often IS the last setup that is fishable .

Hope this helps -

D.~

ICE
02-12-2013, 09:32 AM
Since the surf topic has been raised, If any one around the bay wants to hook up when the tides are right put the shout out. I just hit Pacifica at Lindamar yesterday evening on the incoming tide and caught a bunch of salad. The beach looked great at low tide with lots of troughs and structure though no sign of sand crabs. Any one have much luck in the San Mateo co. coast? I fished San Gregorio for the first time beach back in November with the local shop and got a few. It was a blast and am now hooked (with a 4 month old though it hard to get out to often). Lets keep this thread going and post some pics. There's also a perch derby happening in Santa Cruz in march here's the link.

http://www.theletsgofishingradioshow.com/events.php
http://www.theletsgofishingradioshow.com/SCC12scrbentryfrm.pdf

J. ICE

John Sv
02-12-2013, 05:41 PM
Hi sorry to hijack the thread, but do people eat surf perch?
Thanks,
John

Scott V
02-12-2013, 07:21 PM
Hi sorry to hijack the thread, but do people eat surf perch?
Thanks,
John

Yes and I have heard it is delicious.