PDA

View Full Version : Biggest yet !

Tony Buzolich
02-08-2013, 02:09 PM
After looking at the weather reports last night I thought about not going, but when I went out to get the paper this morning around 5:00AM it was only a little breeze. Good enough for me, I'm going. Not wanting to wake any of my buddys this early in the morning I head out by myself as I often do.

Got to the ramp and I'm the first one here. No wind at all. Perfect. I head up to where we've been getting a few other fish the last few week and start my drift. The water is really low and there are lots of snags to deal with but I like casting in tight to the brush where baitfish might hide and stripers lurk.

After a couple of passes and only a few small taps I get in really tight to the bank at one of my favorite honey-holes. Last year I took Swannee and John Tsitkif to the same spot and John got his hand burned on a big fish before throwing the hook.

Well, sure enough, another big fish was waiting in just about the exact same spot. I got a small tick, set the hook hard, and got a solid stop. Damn, snagged a tree limb. I pulled several times to see how bad it was snagged, but then it moved! Not a lot at first but it moved. And then came the head shake. Damn! I've got a fish! I immediately try to turn the fish toward the middle of the river and throw the trolling motor in reverse to get out and away from all these snags. It works and I'm getting the fish into the middle of the river where I can play it without risk of trees and snags.

Back and forth we go around the boat, the 8 weight bent to max. Soon enough she starts to tire and tries to hide under the boat as I do all I can to get her up to the surface. Now I need the net and I'm by myself . One handed dexterity is a blessing and I get her into the boat for a quick picture and weighing. I'm shaking like crazy and the boga max's out at 30 lbs.+.

After a quick picture I put her on a stringer and get her back into the water where she's fine. I need another picture, a trophy shot. I call one of my buddy's but he's at work and can't leave. I call my wife and tell her about this big fish and she says she'll be right down to take a couple more pictures before I release her. About then a Fish & Game boat pulls along side and I ask them to take a picture. "Sure, but we'll be right back as we go upstream to check another boat". Great, these are the same people that weighed and measured a couple of other stripers for us last Saturday.

Soon enough they show up and ask how long I'd been fishing, my zip code, etc. and then ask if they can weigh and measure the fish. Perfect, they'll confirm my numbers. I go to pull the fish up out of the water and ,,,,,DAMN!!!!!! NO FISH! The clip had opened and she's gone. I was going to release her anyway but not like this. AW<"+*&%*) and Damn a few more times. The F&G people said they saw it on the stringer but that's not enough for their record keeping. They wished me well as they left.

So, unless the wind is blowing a lot harder than it was this morning, guess where I'll be tomarrow morning. Yes, they're just starting to show.
TONY

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/003Aupload_zpsb95eac24.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/002upload_zps59e47f1b.jpg

Langenbeck
02-08-2013, 02:51 PM
An absolutely beautiful fish. Well done Tony!!!

Mark Kranhold
02-08-2013, 02:55 PM
That is one fat hen Tony, congrats! That is still a trophy shot of a fish. Sleep well tonight...you may want to sleep alone tonight do to some strip set dreams of that fish, you wouldn't want to elbow the wife:eek:

Rockman
02-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Well done Tony, I got two words to say. NICE & JEALOUS

Joe Mateas
02-08-2013, 04:25 PM
Awesome fish Tony!!!

Katz
02-08-2013, 04:28 PM
Incredible!

Darian
02-08-2013, 05:19 PM
WOW!!!! What a pig!!! That guy must've been vacuuming up everything in the river.... :cool:

Tony Buzolich
02-08-2013, 06:32 PM
Darian,

I'd like to think she's full of eggs.

We rough measured her at 38" in length and 32" in girth. Now figure out the eqation for pounds:)
Tony

jbird
02-08-2013, 08:57 PM
What a goliath striper! Hard to not snap a rod solo landing a fish like that!

Well done. reminds me of David Lee's fish :)

mems
02-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Aloha Tony, nice stripha! That will keep you heading back for more, Mems.

David Lee
02-09-2013, 08:43 AM
Such a Beautiful Stripe !!! Great job , Tony .... and thanks for the release !!!

David ~

David Lee
02-09-2013, 08:46 AM
Darian,

I'd like to think she's full of eggs.

We rough measured her at 38" in length and 32" in girth. Now figure out the eqation for pounds:)
Tony

I don't know how close this is ... but it's a start -

http://stripersurf.com/ageweight.html

D.~

matt johnson
02-09-2013, 11:23 AM
Geez Tony, what a tank! Love her nice clean stripes.... That is one of those "River Giants" that you you catch a glimps of in clear water now and then or, better yet, have materialize behind your fly or have follow a hooked fish making you go weak in the knees... Knowing those fish are out there makes the striper hunt in our Valley rivers so cool. They don't get that big by making mistakes. You sure beat the odds! Matt

Jimmie
02-09-2013, 12:21 PM
WOW!! Can't say much more. Gotta get my boat goin!

Tony Buzolich
02-09-2013, 12:31 PM
David,

Another way of calculating size is by measureing length X girth squared, then divide by 800.

Two of my best friends did the measuring from the picture and from the floor of my boat. The handle on my rod is 12", the same as the vertical higth of the fish. The screw on the floor of the boat is 36" from the end. The fish's nose is another 1.5" past the screw and the fish's tail is bent.

We measured the circumfrence (girth) of an 11" waste basket at 32". Now do the math.

I'd like to think that this fish simply went over 40 lbs. Exactly what? I'll never know, but I'm just tickled knowing it's the biggest striper I've ever taken :) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so far. :) :) :)

David Lee
02-09-2013, 01:32 PM
Tony , I don't much believe in that chart , or any other one I've seen because of that fact you bring up - GIRTH !! That Stripe is waaaaaay the hell over 30 Lbs. , and very well could be a 40 . Not that a number matters so much , because that , my Friend .... is a fish of a LIFETIME !!

It's also a bit sad because we have so few large ones anymore , fewer than we did even 10 years ago - again , a fish of a lifetime !!

D.~

mar
02-09-2013, 01:38 PM
Looked like you used a 0wt flyrod and size 18 clouser :D
That's one heck of a donkey stripe! Congrats Tony!!

rubberguy
02-09-2013, 09:19 PM
tony,
try this site. it looks like the weight is closer than you thought!!! congratulations.
bill

google: fly fishing research.

Frank Alessio
02-10-2013, 12:58 AM
Tony ... Congratulations on your 38x32 squared Devided by 800 equals 38 lbs Trophy... With those measurments and the photos I would have a fiberglass reproduction made and put it over your mantel... What a Fly rod fish that is well deserved by someone who has put as many hours into the sport as you have... Congrats again.....Frank

Frank Alessio
02-10-2013, 10:00 AM
Sorry My Bad Math more like 32# rounded off to the nearest........What a Fly Rod Toad........

Andy Guibord
02-10-2013, 07:28 PM
That is a gorgeous fish, Tony!!!!!!!!!

Bryan Morgan
02-10-2013, 07:38 PM
Definitely the fish of a lifetime.

Loomis 1
02-10-2013, 08:32 PM
Frank,

You need new batteries for your calculator.

32 x 32 x 38 / 800= 48.64

Buzo asked me to go with him but I had a breakfast date with my old retired cop buddies. Next time I'll grab my rod and a granola bar!
Bill Siler

Frank Alessio
02-10-2013, 08:44 PM
Bill... You are right on... I hit a wrong key on my Calculator....Tony needs to have a fiberglass reproduction made... What a hell of a fish..Frank

Ed Wahl
02-10-2013, 08:48 PM
Tony, I always knew you'd be showing a pic like that sooner or later. Congrats buddy, she's a beauty.
Ed

jbird
02-10-2013, 09:50 PM
Frank,

You need new batteries for your calculator.

32 x 32 x 38 / 800= 48.64

OK This fish just went from really big, to HUGE! Forget about netting it by yourself! Howz your back from lifting it over the rail!?

Randy Lee
02-11-2013, 01:33 PM
OK This fish just went from really big, to HUGE! Forget about netting it by yourself! Howz your back from lifting it over the rail!?

Tony,
Was this submarine nuclear, gas, or diesel? Prop or jet? Unbelievable! One for the campfire stories.
Congrats, Randy Lee

Tony
02-18-2013, 07:58 PM
Great fish