PDA

View Full Version : Wolves looking after the Chickens ?

David Lee
02-05-2013, 03:22 PM
http://www.sacbee.com/2013/02/05/5167674/sacramento-delta-proposed-for.html

I'm wondering if there's a clause in the fine print for a tunnel for more water shipped off to grow Cashews in the Desert.... ??

D.~

Darian
02-05-2013, 06:16 PM
This sounds like a first step in providing resources ($$$) for local development. A similar program, also, administered by the National Park Service (NPS) is the Preservation Tax Incentive Program (PTIP). Each program encourages public private partnership to re-develop or preserve something.

The PTIP identifies historically important properties and, along with local governments, provides some funding and contracts with developers to carry out the development. Developer/partners are eligible to receive a credit of 20% against Income Taxes for expenses paid under this program. The last I had read, under PTIP, the only properties developed were in the city of Detroit, MI. One of the conditions of re-development was/is that the property be restored for the purpose of occupation by a profit making business with an eye towards increasing employment. Needless to say, all of the properties developed were unoccupied factory buildings.

Now, all of this doesn't sound like a bad thing, depending on which side of these issues you stand on, but why is it administered by the NPS??? Obviously, preservation/restoration isn't the primary purpose of this program. Why do funds collected by NPS diverted to this program and away from the parks???

Makes me a bit suspicious but who really knows. Maybe National Heritage Areas are just what they look like. At any rate, it Boxer and Feinstein a chance to polish up their images a bit.... ;)