PDA

View Full Version : Lower Feather River Brown

Tony Buzolich
02-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Here's a new one for everybody to enjoy. While fishing striped bass on the Feather with me last Saturday Jim May landed a beautiful 20+" German Brown trout at the Shang Hai Bend falls. The fish ate his 2/0 Clouser that he was using for stripers.
Jim says he's never seen or heard of anyone ever catching a brown this low in the Feather.
Tony
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/jimtrout1_ppupload_zpsba275a08.jpg

Rossflyguy
02-05-2013, 10:59 AM
WOW!!! I'm sure there are more cause that one looks pretty healthy. I wonder if they also gorge on the salmon and steelhead eggs.

Rockman
02-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Nice Brown! Nice photo Tony! Those browns could also be on the stripers diet too! Maybe thats why they are so rare?

winxp_man
02-05-2013, 11:41 AM
Wow that this is a new one. First time for me to hear of a brown on the Feather river. Nice brown though! And healthy to.

Frank Alessio
02-05-2013, 03:19 PM
Wow that this is a new one. First time for me to hear of a brown on the Feather river. Nice brown though! And healthy to.

Nice fish Jim....

Ned Morris
02-05-2013, 03:30 PM
That is way cool. Love seeing surprise fish such as this one. Reminds me of a Coho I once caught in CA. Have heard of occasional Browns taken on the Lower Yuba River. Wonder if all these fish spilled over from somewhere in the upper parts of the drainage few years ago when I recall 30,000-50,000 cfs Spring of 2011. That fish still will end up in the gut of a 40 lb. Striper though if it decides to stick around.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Not too common......cool Tony.

Great looking fish....

Langenbeck
02-05-2013, 09:24 PM
Another tale of a surprise fish. On the 1 Jan opening of the American River was fishing just above the Sunrise Bridge about 1974. Hooked a very large chrome bright fish and though it was a huge steelhead. Turned out to be an 18-20 pound winter run salmon. Don't know if that run still remains in the area around Battle Creek.

Morgan
02-06-2013, 07:52 AM
Very nice catch! Pretty cool catching the unexpected.

Jake O
02-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Apparently the browns caught on the Yuba are from small drainage below parks bar that are stocked with browns. IN high water, they find their way down to the Yuba. This winter, we saw weeklong flows of 50K plus (I think in December), so not too suprising that a brown ended up in the falls. Very cool indeed though, what a surpise that must have been!

Scott V
02-06-2013, 10:11 AM
Great, you find the one brown left in the system and it is probably dead because you held it out of the water and took a picture. Oh wait, this isn't the steeelhead section, never mind.:cool:

Garfly
02-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Apparently the browns caught on the Yuba are from small drainage below parks bar that are stocked with browns. IN high water, they find their way down to the Yuba. This winter, we saw weeklong flows of 50K plus (I think in December), so not too suprising that a brown ended up in the falls. Very cool indeed though, what a surpise that must have been!

Jake-O.....is that the creek @ sycamore pk.... or closer to parks bar road?N. side of river or south? Thx.-C