PDA

View Full Version : Wind question

BHirayama
02-04-2013, 09:37 PM
I have a fly fishing trip to Bishop planned for this weekend. I just looked at the weather reports and they are forecasting 13 mph winds for Saturday. My question is how bad is this? The Lower Owens is pretty open with few trees along the banks. Will this "blow away" the BWO hatch? I appreciate any input anyone can give me. It's a five hour drive for me, so I want to make sure the trip will be worth my while. Thanks!

rippinstreamers
02-04-2013, 10:51 PM
it shows the wind coming from NNW, much of the river runs west to east as you may know. In my experience you can always find an area that was sheltered from the willows or the ridge that runs along the north side of the river. It looks like it will be a chilly day though too, might be scarce on the hatches.

Fly Guy Dave
02-05-2013, 09:09 AM
When I fish the Lower O in high winds, I walk the bank until I find the areas that are protected from the wind from either the high bank, cattails or trees. The BWO that do hatch tend to gather or get blown into the eddies, and the trout gather there to feast on them. Even if that fails, fishing nymphs or emergers will still get you into some fish, if they're on the bite. I've had some great days on that river when the weather has been cold and windy. Have fun.