PDA

View Full Version : Lower Sac wading?

Ben J
01-31-2013, 06:58 PM
Hello! I'm sorry to say that i have never fished the Lower Sac before... I'm hoping to get out sometime this spring to give it a go. I'm really interested in expanding my spey fishing from steelhead over to the trout realm, and would like to try swinging for some lower sac 'bows. I have absolutely no idea what levels would be good/safe for wading on this large river... Can anyone help out a lower sac noob here?:cool:

Anyone else using spey/swing applications on the lower sac?

Thanks!

Lance Gray
02-01-2013, 12:32 AM
Kobestopper,

The Lower Sac has many places to walkin at. I wrote and article for CA Flyfisher last year on it. If you would like a copy of the article send me an email.

Best times to wade is when the river is at 3000-5000cfs.

tommylee
02-01-2013, 04:17 PM
I am also a fan of wading the Lower Sac. The south end of Andersen River Park and the Girvan Road access are two of my favorite spots, though I prefer to not do Girvan alone. It can seem very remote though not far from the road. I think swinging the shallower riffles with your spey gear would be a blast.

TommyLee

stevenj24k
02-03-2013, 12:19 PM
best to wade under 5K and with studs, a staff, and a friend. even at "low" flows, it's BIG water. love to swing the two hander on the sac. hit the shallow riffles with a small bugger or soft hackle on a floater. or throw on a skagit short and a mow tip and work the drop offs at varying depths and speeds. let 'er swing all the way through. also fun to grab a 5 or 6 weight switch rod and swing the runs first, then go through and "clean up" with a nymph. of course you'll cover a lot more water if you can swing a "ride" in a drift or jet boat and hop from spot to spot... have fun and be careful (i took a slip once at about 5500 and was VERY lucky my buddy was standing close by with an outstretched wading staff)

Notch
02-03-2013, 03:05 PM
I think spring is one of the best times to wade the L Sac. Flows are at their lowest while Shasta fills-up with run off, usually until May-June when the farmers need water. Caddis are active in the afternoon and you might run into a "blizzard" caddis hatch. Below Sundial Bridge, Anderson River Park, Deschutes Road and below Battle Creek are all good places to check out.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-03-2013, 06:58 PM
Be very careful wading any of the big valley rivers.

Lance Gray
02-04-2013, 10:21 PM
I have sent out an article I wrote for CA Flyfisher on wading the Lower Sac. Find a copy of it or email me and I will be glad to send you a copy.

Thanks