PDA

View Full Version : Question for Go-Pro users

mar
01-30-2013, 06:42 PM
My Go-Pro Hero camera quit working. It will not power up nor charge the battery. I've contacted customer service and the only troubleshooting tip they gave me was to remove/re-install the battery and SD card and repeat the power-up process. It didn't work.
Added to that, it is conveniently 4 months out of the warranty period and the best they could offer me was to turn in the dead camera and receive a 20% discount on another camera purchase.

Any of you out there have similar issues? Any other methods of troubleshooting/fixing this thing?
I've only used it in the fall of 2011 and was very happy with it while it was working.
I'm not sure if I want to get another one based on this experience even at a discounted price.

Thanks for the help.

Baja Fly Fisher
01-30-2013, 07:55 PM
Mar,

I've used GoPro for the past 6 years and had the same issue but with an older model. It was a Hero model but not the Hero2HD. I sent it in and they repaired it for free, I can't remember it the warranty was expired or not. What model do you have, the Hero2HD?

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-30-2013, 09:41 PM
I Googled up this:

1. Remove battery
2. Connect to USB red light will weakly blink
3. Insert battery while connected to USB
4. Press and hold power on button
5. Camera should start in USB mode
6. Remove USB cable
7. Turn on GoPro

mar
01-30-2013, 10:32 PM
Jay,
I have the Hero HD. Bought it Aug 2011 and used it for 3 months. It sat on the shelf since Nov 2011 until I turned it on a month ago.
I e-mailed GoPro again and asked them to re-consider their decision. Hopefully they'll change their mind and repair this under warranty.

Bill,
Thanks for the tip. I tried that and slight variations of it and nothing worked. If I can't get it repaired under warranty, I'll open it up and start poking around. From the images I've googled up, it looks easy enough to play around with.

Mar

ted1
01-31-2013, 09:33 AM
Try another good battery.

mar
01-31-2013, 01:06 PM
Try another good battery.

Yep, tried that as well. No dice.

mar
01-31-2013, 03:21 PM
Update:
Got a quick reply from GoPro. They decided to replace my camera. Pretty awesome. Begging nicely actually worked :D

Looking forward to receiving the replacement and putting it good use.

TyV
02-02-2013, 04:13 PM
Very cool. Glad to hear that there are still a few companies out there that believe in treating the customer like a customer they would like to keep in the future ;)

Baja Fly Fisher
02-02-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm glad GoPro decided to exchange the camera. Will you be getting the same model hero2? GoPro has come a long way in the past few years. From an unknown company to a leading edge company that you now see everywhere, especially on the MotoX circuit, snow boarding and the surfing scene.
I have one set on my dashboard of my truck and use it sometimes to record travel shots when I'm filming a trout video. On the new camera's I like the WiFi attachments.

Jay

RenoLipRipper
02-04-2013, 10:08 AM
I have a H3 silver edition. Had one of the original ones back 6-7 years ago. It has issues. So I got this one. Use it mainly for skiing and mountain biking, might try if it for fishig, (chesty, helmet) and works great. It is a quirky camera. Does some strange things, like not recording when you think it is, powering off, staying stuck on. But I too have done the SD card out, and battery out then reinstall. Seems to clear most of the issues. This H3 is awesome.