PDA

View Full Version : Rio's Bonefish Quick Shooter Line?

Fish911
01-30-2013, 04:17 PM
Any feedback on this line?

MJones
01-30-2013, 10:01 PM
Fish911,
I just had a call from my flyshop. My 7 & 8 wt lines just cam in today, will pick up tomorrow. Unfortunately I won't get to use them until the middle of March. My reson for selecting this line, I also have both the Rio & SA Mastery bonefish lines in 7 & 8, is that my upcoming trip will be strictly a wade fishing trip. No bow of a boat to stand on where I can have 15-20' of line outside my rod tip. Only 12 - 15'. This line is supposed to load rod more quickly & I'm hoping to keep my false casts to 2 to get out to 40'.

Anyway, before I purchased these I called Rio & talked to Chris Anderson. He told me that this line is EXACTLY the same as the redfish line. Just a different box. My guy at the flyshop was skeptical so he brought up the diagram of each & sure enough!!! You might querry some redfish guys as to their thoughts.

If you are getting out & back before I leave, March 14, I would sure be glad to hear from you.
Mel Jones
406-920-3800

gene goss
02-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Any feedback on this line?

I used this line at Davis Lake last fall, when i was chasing rising trout in the bay's...its like a shooting head...but you have more control where the fly is going to land.
Standing on the shore or fishing from my tube....its 2 false casts and shoot it.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-04-2013, 07:25 PM
I think they are designed for wading for Bonefish where the casting is pretty short.

I believe the standard/original Bonefish line has a longer head for casting further from a boat.

FISHEYE
02-05-2013, 10:04 AM
I long ago gave up on the standard bonefish line to fish permit and bonefish in Belize. The 42 foot head made it too difficult to cast at close fish. My entire group switched over the the Rio redfish line. Way easier to cast to close fish and in the wind. It even works for redfish.

Tony
02-18-2013, 08:04 PM
It throws like the redfish line. I think the tapers are the same. The quickshooter was designed for wading. It is a great line. I like it more than the standard Bonefish line.

sorry i am know parroting Bill to a large extent.

Terry Thomas
02-19-2013, 08:39 AM
After speaking with a Rio rep, Bill and Tony are correct. The taper is the same, however, the core on the Bonefish line is "tropical."

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-19-2013, 10:07 AM
Thanks Terry..............

Terry Thomas
02-23-2013, 08:01 AM
Amendment: same line. Sorry for the misinformation; that is what I was first told. At Pleasanton yesterday, I received the straight info from Simon and Aaron.

Tony
04-09-2013, 08:17 PM
I have it on good authority that the new Redfish and the Bonefish Quickshooter lines are in fact the same line

gitt
04-09-2013, 08:49 PM
Phil, have question for you. When your group switched over to the Bonefish Quickshooter, did they over line the rods? I picked up the precursor to this Quickshooter set up- the Bonefish line in a matched rod weight. Thinking I might add the Bonefish Quickshooter before heading down to Belize in a couple of weeks if shorter distance is the key. Right now, the existing line feels matched to the rod, but feel it could be little heavier, if wind is an issue.

Thanks in advance.

FISHEYE
04-10-2013, 01:29 PM
I upline the Rio redfish line by one weight which helps when it is really windy, and it is often windy. Most Belize permit shots are very close (20- 50') because of the simple reason that you usually can't see them far and if you do, you get out of the boat. Then they move and you can't see them and then a tail tip pops up but you don't know which way the fish is facing so you don't cast. yadda yadda yadda Then the fish is right there and you can't see it because you are looking too far out or at the tip of floating grass but the guide sees it and by the time you do the fish is close. Uplining by one weight helps with getting a close cast without more than one backcast and also allows you to fish a light rod if you want. Two other suggestions: get one of the new sealevel hipshooters or the old mangrove hipshooters; mark your line from the rod tip in 10 foot increments out to 60 or 70 feet so you know how much line you are stripping out (I rarely need more than 50 feet). One more- listen to your guide. They can see fish way before we can.