PDA

View Full Version : CFFU - American River Clean-Up........Feb 23, 2013, Saturday

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-24-2013, 10:19 PM
AMERICAN RIVER CLEAN-UP

On Saturday, February 23, CFFU volunteers will perform our next clean-up event along mile 16 (south side) of the American River bikeway. Our club has signed onto the American River Parkway Foundation’s “Adopt the Parkway” program. Under our agreement with the Foundation, CFFU will walk along the bikeway on this stretch of the River four times a year and pick up trash. In return, the Foundation has placed our Club’s name on a sign on the River’s bikeway.

On Saturday, we will meet at the parking lot adjacent to the River and at the end of Rossmoor Drive, which runs north from Coloma Road in Rancho Cordova and just up river from Hagen Community Park. I will have free parking permits for all volunteers. There is no ticket taker or entrance gate. We will gather at 9:00 a.m. at the parking lot for a short orientation and then walk mile 16 on the south side only of the River (downriver and towards Sacramento). I will provide doughnuts and coffee. I will have trash bags and other items necessary for the litter patrol. However, you may want to bring a pick-up gadget. The trek should take about 90 minutes.

Like last time, I am hoping for a good turn-out so that we can say we are earning the name recognition our Club is getting from the sign that all bikeway travelers will see. If you cannot spend the time or cannot walk the entire mile, please feel free to walk whatever distance is convenient. Be sure to wear clothing appropriate for the weather and bring water and a pick-up gadget. For an excellent map to our meeting site, check our CFFU website for the one provided by Paul Bauldry.

Finally, Carl Lang has volunteered to guard the cars at the parking lot while we do our clean-up.

Thanks, and see you on Saturday, February 23.

Bill Felts
CFFU American River Clean-up Coordinator.