PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 7wt reel to use both in fresh and salt water

LNelson
01-20-2013, 11:48 AM
I am looking for a schoolie striper reel to match with a Winston BIIx 7wt. I have a Lamson LP 1.5 in mint condition(classic solid backplate), a mint Ross Gunnison 3 in matte guide finish and a near mint Loomis Synchrotech 345 for trading purposes.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Your Gunnison 3 would work. You just need to wash it off well after using in saltwater.

You need to decide on what price point you are thinking about for a new reel. That way you can compare reels that are similar.

Smolt
01-24-2013, 08:32 AM
I am looking for a schoolie striper reel to match with a Winston BIIx 7wt. I have a Lamson LP 1.5 in mint condition(classic solid backplate), a mint Ross Gunnison 3 in matte guide finish and a near mint Loomis Synchrotech 345.

IMHO, all three of those reels are not good matches for either the rod or the purpose you described. Have the rod -- its a beauty -- and would not use anything as small or weak as the reels you listed, especially for stripers, even schoolies.

There is an Orvis VO2 V up on the big auction board that would be a good match (I have no interest in that reel financial or otherwise). I can give you futher inormation, but do not want to take up the space here. My $0.02

LNelson
01-24-2013, 04:16 PM
Decided to sell the BIIx 7wt and just use my 9wt for the salt.