PDA

View Full Version : Amazon

Baja Fly Fisher
01-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Could someone tell me a little about amazon.com and the books and pricing. The reason I'm asking is because I just went there to look up some prices on books.
I'm getting ready for a pre-moving sale and would like to dump a few books. Most are brand new, never been off the shelf.
The first book I typed in was Alpine Angler by John Shewey. This is a 1995 release and John signed and dated the book. I saw that the booked was listed for a high of $130.00 and other listed prices

So how are the prices based.

Jay

Eventually I will be posting them in the "Classifieds"

Darian
01-20-2013, 10:14 AM
Not sure how they set their prices.... The website displays new/used books by title, side by side. Even rates the condition of each and the volume available. The price on a particular title can vary over time (maybe depending on inventory). They have to have a large amount of easily accessed info available to set prices.

From my limited number of purchases from them, pricing almost seems like an auction. The price is set and allowed to drift until a bid is received.... :confused:

Baja Fly Fisher
01-20-2013, 10:39 AM
Thanks Darian, I have/had a John Shewey book. Pending sale
Maybe I'll contact Amazon to find out how the price and grade books.
I also have a first addition Steelhead Fly Fishing by Trey Combs. It's value on Amazon is $300.00. I paid a lot less than that

Before I moved from the peninsula to the valley, I had a collection of fly fishing/tying books that numbered 200 at least. I gave 95% of them away being that I didn't want to carry them to the valley. Most of my friends have my book collection.
I had first additions of Tying the Fuzzy Nymph, In the Ring of the Rise, Hatches, etc.... I guess they could be worth money IF you can find the right person to buy them.

Almost packed and ready for baja......Just a dry run

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-20-2013, 10:52 AM
When books are out of print, meaning that's it....no more...the price on the 'first aditions' can go up as a collector's value.

You could call or email Adams Angling in Berkely, CA as they sell fly fishing books.

http://www.adamsanglingbooks.com/sp_privacy.html

Also contact the publisher and /or the author for a reality check on values.

If you put books up on an eBay aution and it is very valuable you will get better money there.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _

Here is a good example: I bought the book 'Dry Line Steelhead' when it first came out 20-30 years ago. It has been out of print for decades now. Amato Publications says they might re-print it but have not done so. It was probalby $19.95 in paperback only and now some sell for over $100 used, but like new.

http://www.amazon.com/Dry-Line-Steelhead-Other-Subjects/dp/0936608625

Here is one on amazon for $74.99 used.

You just need to do the research.....

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-20-2013, 11:09 AM
OK...I found it....yahoo

http://www.bookfinder.com/

This will show you a lot of them for sale and prices.

Trey Combs Steelhead Flyfishing looks like it is going for $200