PDA

View Full Version : Palmyra?

mems
01-15-2013, 10:09 PM
Aloha, anyone been to Palmyra? I got a call from a friend of mine who guides on Oahu, Greg Moss. He asked if I was interested in guiding on palmyra. I said shit yeah and now am working out the logistics of guiding there in May. I will be working for the Nature Conservancy and guiding donors bonefishing there. It works out perfect for me, because I will be down at Christmas Island the week before. I have been itching to get there ever since I heard of my friends guiding down there. I got them some flies from Rainy's flies to use with their clients. Anyway I was just wondering if anyone had been there. I will post a story when I get back and also include an update on CI as well. It should be a fun spring! Mems.

Darian
01-15-2013, 11:15 PM
Aloha Don,.... Can't contribute much about Palmyra but I'm envious. Great opportunity!! Wish I was going. Good luck. :cool:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-16-2013, 09:40 AM
My dad, Fred Kiene, was in the US Navy during WWII and was stationed on Palmyra Atoll working on aircraft that were coming and going to the battles in the South Pacific theater.

I will send you a name and email address of a fly fisherman friend who went down on the first exploritory trip to Palmyra soon after the Nature Concervancy and US Federal Fish & Wildlife purchased the remote atoll.

Lots of info on Palmyra on the web.....

mems
01-16-2013, 10:11 AM
Wow Bill, that is cool your dad was there. I hope he got to fish for some bonefish there. My guide friends tell me it is ridiculous, you just cast let the fly sink tug once, the fish zoom in and you are on. Lots of small bones, some big ones and lots of sharks. I think we will be able to target GT's when we are there. The offshore is also supposed to be nuts, lots of ono and again bigger sharks. I appreciate the contact info, thanks, Don.