PDA

View Full Version : Recommended lines for discontinued rods

roywest
01-04-2013, 03:57 PM
Dear Kienes's:

The line recommendations for the rods in your online shop are just fabulous, but as rods get discontinued (such as my Sage 6110 Z-axis switch rod), the line info disappears with the rod. Is there any way you can retain this information for rods that are no longer in your online shop?

Thanks so much for this service in any event.

__Roy

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-04-2013, 05:14 PM
I think I can get it for you.....

Larry S
01-04-2013, 05:15 PM
Roy,
Are you aware of
http://www.rioproducts.com/spey-central/

Be sure to scroll down the page to see all of the choices.
Best,
Larry S

Larry S
01-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Bill,
You are no longer "Boca Grande?" Breaks my heart!
Best,
Larry S
Sun Diego

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-04-2013, 05:28 PM
I am still going to be helping out but just not as much......

Our line recommendations for the 6110-4 Sage Z-Axis /Switch

Airflo Compact Scandi 330 grain
Rio Steelhead Scandi 350 grain

Rio Skagit Short 325 grain

Maybe the Airflo Rage Compact 300-330 grain?

If you live around Sacramento we have test heads for most of these series. Call first to see if we carry it and to see if it is back in from being loaned out.

roywest
01-04-2013, 11:32 PM
Thanks a lot for digging this up, Bill. It would still be great if the shop/site could keep this data alive for discontinued rods. Clearly, lots of effort went into collecting this knowledge, so it's a shame to have it disappear as the rods become unavailable. I spent a glorious day yesterday steelheading with my switch rod and hope it will outlive many lines for many years to come.

Larry S. -- thanks for the link, I was aware of it. The Kiene's info is an invaluable complement to the recommendations from the line and rod companies.

As for your offer to try out lines from your shop, Bill, thanks, but the ethics are complicated. I rely on my local shop in Berkeley/Albany and make all my significant purchases there, because if it disappeared we East Bay folks would suffer a terrible loss. Kiene's is a magnificent resource on line and in person (I've stopped in for advice and a batch of flies and other on-the-go gear any number of times), but coming into Kiene's to test rods and lines I will purchase from my local shop doesn't seem right to me.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-04-2013, 11:43 PM
That is the right thing to do so you will still have a local shop to go to. This economy has been hard on small business...