PDA

View Full Version : Cortland line company sold -

David Lee
12-26-2012, 05:46 PM
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/flyfishing/3251-cortland-line-company-bought-by-group-of-private-investors.html

Could be great news if R&D get up to speed ! The Tropic + Lazer lines , 444SL's , and the old QD sink tips were great lines , and affordable (sorry , but $75.00-$80.00 for a flyline is getting kinda stupid expensive ...) .

D.~

hwchubb
12-27-2012, 09:21 AM
When I started, the two choices were Cortland and Sci Anglers, and I've been in the Cortland tent until recently. The 444SL and camo intermediate are still good lines, would love to see them come back stronger... And with you on price too, David...

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-27-2012, 09:31 AM
50 years ago Scientific Angler/3M and Cortland Line Company were the two dominant fly line manufacturers.

SA lines were sold anywhere but Cortland's top quality 444 lines were only sold in Pro Shops.

Our old Cortland Rep, Joe Partterson, had a huge impact on the Cortland Line popularity in these parts becuase he was a veterna fly fisher himself.

Joe not only helped us to stock the right Cortland products, he also gave us fantastic advice on new places to fish because of all of his knowledge from traveling the western states and Alaska for Cortland.

In the 1970s he took many of us up to Central Oregon to Crane Prairie Reservoir which was a mile stone for us in still water fishing.

Joe was also a founding member of the local fly fishing club, the CFFU.

He is in the movie "Rivers of a Lost Coast" too.

He is in his 80s now living in Penyrn, CA.

You can only imagine the quality of fly fishing Joe experienced in his lifetime along with many of the Greatest Generation.

In the last decade Cortland kind of slipped some in popularity but I have heard theat they have been purchased and are working hard on a comeback........