PDA

View Full Version : "Thank You" Bill and Kiene's staff...

FoothillFlyFisher
12-24-2012, 12:20 PM
I just wanted to take a moment and "Thank" Bill for what he has done for the sport of fly fishing, and the fantastic shop that he has built. His dedication to shop and the sport has been blessing to all.

I have visited many fly shops over the years throughout California and most of the western US. And Kiene's by far is always my favorite. Bill and his staff has always made my visits friendly and informative, in a low key fashion. Which is always appreciated. Trust me not every shop treats you in this fashion! No high pressure BS, you've got to have this, you need this, and how about this $600.00 rod you just can't live without. And when they finally get the clue your not buying the BS, they don't care if you leave there store with a smile on your face or not! I have never felt like this when I've left Kiene's.

The shop is always well stock, and eager to answer any of your questions. You "never" feel like you've asked as stupid question, or your not on the same level of the person your talking to.

What bring me to this statement is this. Saturday after a long morning of last minute Christmas shopping, my son and I decided to make are last stop before heading back up the hill home to Kiene's. It had been a while since we last visited the shop, and thought it would be a good way to end our day. (But, do you ever need an excuse for stopping into a fly shop?) Well after arriving at the shop we where met my smiling faces, and a warm and welcome atmosphere. It was a breath of fresh air after a morning for crowds and hustle and bustle of that last minute shopping thing!

Bill took the lead as he is know to do, and engaged my son and I in conversation. It is always pleasant talking to with him. He was amazed on how much my son had grown since the last time he had seen him. Told us stories tied to the area in Amador county we live in. And as always made us feel welcome and he was happy that we had stopped by the shop.

Our visit to the shop Saturday was a way for us to unwind and maybe pick up a few fly tying things we needed. I had been thinking I wanted a 4 wt. rod for a while but hadn't really decided on anything yet. And after making my way up and down the rod rack looking and touching as we all do. One of Bill staff offered some advise and frenziedly no pressure help. He asked if I would like to cast a few rods and see if I could narrow down any future purchases of what I might be looking for. Well, after sometime in the parking lot, it was Merry Christmas to me! Now I needed a reel for the new rod. And after many opinions, I came to a final decision and I has my new set up. It was professionally outfitted and I was completely satisfied with my purchase. I am sure I did not spend the most $$$ in the shop that day. But, I was made to feel that I had. Bill you have an outstanding group of people working for you...

While I was waiting for the new outfit to be put together, I learned that Bill had sold the shop and that he would be taking a lesser role in the day to day operations. He would still be around from time to time. But, he was now finally going to get some much deserved and needed R&R. I was told that he had chosen great new owners, and that the shop would not be changing and that everyone there would continue the high level of service that Bill had built over the years. I was very pleased to hear that we would not be losing such a great shop.

Again, thank you Bill for all that you have done for all of us, and the great sport of fly fishing. I hope the future holds everything you dream of. Enjoy your retirement, your family, friends, travels and more time on the water. You truly deserve it. Best of luck to you and everything you do.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year...

Foothill FlyFisher