PDA

View Full Version : Kiene's has been sold!!

jerry from sac
12-18-2012, 07:55 PM
I guess this is some kind of event.
We are officially selling our store to Steve Jensen who owns the Grizzly Hackle Fly Shop in Missoula , Montana and the Rainbow River Lodge out of Bristol Bay , Alaska
Tim Fox will be the new manager.

OceanSunfish
12-18-2012, 08:34 PM
We are officially selling our store to Steve Jensen who owns the Grizzly Hackle Fly Shop in Missoula , Montana and the Rainbow River Lodge out of Bristol Bay , Alaska

Seriously?

Ben J
12-18-2012, 08:38 PM
For Reals?

jerry from sac
12-18-2012, 08:39 PM
si, yes it is
And it happens rather quickly. New management takes over Jan. 1

fishnbeatsworkin
12-18-2012, 08:51 PM
So do I wear my Grizzly Hackle hat or my Kiene's hat into the shop after Jan 1st?

Mark Kranhold
12-18-2012, 08:56 PM
Wow!!! Congrats on retirement Bill & Marylin! This is great and sad news all togather. I just want to thank you Bill for all the pointers and tips you have given me throughout my fly fishing years. It is always great to come in the shop and chit-chat about fishing and listen to some story's you have about fishing, boats or motorcycles... That will be missed! You have created a wonderful staff that makes you feel right at home when at the shop. I hope you travel and fish some of your fondest fisheries of your life. Thanks again Bill & Marylin for the best Fly Shop around. Have a safe and healthy retirement! Take care, Mark

alpen glow
12-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Wow!!! Congrats on retirement Bill & Marylin! This is great and sad news all togather. I just want to thank you Bill for all the pointers and tips you have given me throughout my fly fishing years. It is always great to come in the shop and chit-chat about fishing and listen to some story's you have about fishing, boats or motorcycles... That will be missed! You have created a wonderful staff that makes you feel right at home when at the shop. I hope you travel and fish some of your fondest fisheries of your life. Thanks again Bill & Marylin for the best Fly Shop around. Have a safe and healthy retirement! Take care, Mark

and a great Message board!!!!!!!!!

Langenbeck
12-18-2012, 11:31 PM
Wouldn't it be logical for Bill to make this announcemet rather than "Jerry from sac" since this is Bill Kiene's Board????

Rockman
12-18-2012, 11:38 PM
Let's hope they keep the best flyfishing staff in California employed. It is the Kiene team that makes this a truely great shop.
KEEP THE TEAM!

DAVID95670
12-18-2012, 11:42 PM
Let's hope they keep the best flyfishing staff in California employed. It is the Kiene team that makes this a truely great shop.
KEEP THE TEAM!

second this thought

DAVID95670
12-18-2012, 11:42 PM

fire sale of remaining inventory before exchange????

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-19-2012, 12:11 AM
Jerry is a very close old friend and I sent him an email recently.

Tim Fox as manager will carry on our "old time" traditions as well as our wonderful staff.

We are excited to be joining forces with the Grizzly Hackle Fly Shop in Missoula, Montana.

Marilyn and I are just getting too old to do the daily grind but I will be around the shop from time to time for intertainment value.

Thanks for all the wonderful support over the years.

Maybe you will see me out on the Lower American River some now as it is still one of my favorite water ways.

Tony Buzolich
12-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Bill,

I was always told that when going INTO business you have to plan everything,,,, inventory, rent, working capitol, insurances, etc. etc. But, on the other end, you also have to plan your way OUT of a business. You can't just walk away from an operating venture.

I hope this was your plan and the business will continue to do well serving a long following of loyal customers.

You'll be missed ol' friend,
Tony

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-19-2012, 09:10 AM
We were very lucky that Steve and Tim came along because we have wanted to retire for some time now.

We will be able to do some RVing with our new motor home. Lots of friends and relatives have RVs now too.

We can spend more time with our 6 grandkids.

We will still be living in Davis, California.

We will spend part of the time in our little shack in Sebastian, Florida.

I will be here on the message board too posting photos and reports of our adventures in retirment.

I will let everyone know when I am working at the shop so they can come in to BS some.

SHigSpeed
12-19-2012, 09:34 AM
Congrats Bill! Well deserved. I can't believe those out-of-towners managed to outbid Scott V though!

Oh well,

;)

_SHig

DAVID95670
12-19-2012, 09:39 AM
J

Maybe you will see me out on the Lower American River some now as it is still one of my favorite water ways.

if you are retired I figured you would move to Florida or other Carib for those Tarpon, flats fish

American River has already retired LOL

Baja Fly Fisher
12-19-2012, 10:30 AM
Bill & Marilyn congrats on your retirement. You are the icon of the northern cal fly fishing industry and will surely be missed. Keep us informed on your days in the shop, I know it won't be many. With 6 grand kids, a house in FL and a motor home, you won't have time to hang out.

Happy Retirement and Happy Holidays

Jay

bigfly
12-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Bill, you've done a great job...
A very hard act to follow.
Be well, and enjoy the road trippen.....
Maybe e-mail us some pictures of all the fish you catch.
Thanks

Jim

k.hanley
12-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Buddy you and Marilyn have earned this reward. I have no doubt you'll be maximizing your retirement enjoyment!
You have great spirit.
Cheers, Ken

Ed Wahl
12-19-2012, 09:20 PM
Bill you have built and run a fly shop that even a flyshop hater like myself could love. Very well done my friend, and I wish you a happy fish filled retirement.
Ed

I smell a retirement party.
One of these guys knows something about booze and only one hooker. ;)

Morgan
12-20-2012, 09:08 AM
COngrats w/ your retirement. Now its time to continue that fishing career like when you were a youngster. Fun, games and shit talking.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-20-2012, 09:20 AM
I bet most of us here had a good childhood doing lots of fun things like hiking, camping, fishing and hunting.

Then you get married and have kids which changes things for you some.

Then through your adult life you are always looking to do those things that you did growing up.

I think retirement is the time to go back to those fun things you remember a a child.

We are doing them with the grandkids now too.

Frank Alessio
12-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Congratulations Bill Kiene....You have done a great job and service to the Flyfishing World... Thank you and enjoy your Retirement... Frank

Blueracer
12-20-2012, 02:03 PM
Congrtulations to you both Bill.

I bet you could have one great public retirement party...your customers could give back to you...

FRSam
12-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Congratulations Bill...you will be sorely missed...but lord knows you deserve the free time you've earned to spend with your wife, family, friends and fishing! And thank you for your help over the years...you were always so generous with your information and such a pleasure to talk with. Should you ever need a place to stay or a boat to fish Lake Davis by all means shoot me a message.

Pete

pvsprme
12-21-2012, 08:48 AM
"Marilyn and I are just getting too old to do the daily grind but I will be around the shop from time to time for intertainment value".
I don't know about the 1st part, but the end is well put; I've been to the shop only once, not living in the area. Bill was effusively friendly and I was impressed by his energy and general "vibe". Congratulations and well done! BTW, there's not a better man than Tim in the industry, I'll miss stopping in to see him on my way through Redding, but you Sacto's are gaining a super man.
Enjoy the next chapters Bill.

treclusado
12-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Congratulation's Bill & Marilyn!
We will miss you both.

Theresa

Randy B
12-22-2012, 09:20 AM
CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU AND MARILYN! I'm sure you'll enjoy all the new found free time with family and friends.

I hope the new ownership can keep the same vibe, class, quality of FF shopping experience, customer service, approachability, sense of family, and sense of a small mom and pop fly shop that you so effortlessly and expertly nurtured at the shop. I have only seen one other fly shop that has come close to recreate what you created at Kienes Fly Shop, and like your shop, the owner's name is on the masthead.

Phil Synhorst
12-22-2012, 09:44 AM
WOW!!!!! Congratulations Bill and Marilyn, it is a well deserved retirement. You two put a lot of yourselves into the shop over the years, making it the fine establishment that it is.

I'm willing to wager that there is one thing you won't escape in retirement. That is, your willingness to pass on knowledge, and love of the sport to anyone willing to listen.:)

Is it safe to assume that all the staff are staying, those that want to? They are a good bunch of people, part of the personality of the place.

Congrats again, Phil

mar
12-22-2012, 01:22 PM
I hope the new ownership can keep the same vibe, class, quality of FF shopping experience, customer service, approachability, sense of family, and sense of a small mom and pop fly shop that you so effortlessly and expertly nurtured at the shop.

Couldn't have said it any better.

Congrats Bill and Marilyn!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-22-2012, 10:35 PM
Our staff will be the same and I will be there part time so I think the only change will be a little remodeling and a larger inventory in the future.

Tim Fox will be the manager and he is a regular great guy who we have know for many years.

I think the only real change will be subtle improvements.