PDA

View Full Version : More about Lewiston Lake on the Trinity River drainage.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-11-2012, 11:04 PM
I think I have heard about this being very good several times now because they planted it with a lot of trout?

wineslob
12-12-2012, 04:30 PM
I haven't fished it in years, but we fished the PH at the base of the dam (Trinity) above Lewiston. There were HUGE rainbows and browns in that water.

Tony Buzolich
12-12-2012, 05:28 PM
I haven't fished it in years, but we fished the PH at the base of the dam (Trinity) above Lewiston. There were HUGE rainbows and browns in that water.

Last year I gave a "Striper" presentation to the Shasta Trinity Fly Fishers in Redding. As I was demo-ing how to tie one of my Full Dressed Clousers several members in the audiance commented about how these would be great for smallmouth in Lewiston. If I tyed them a bit smaller the smallmouth would be all over them was the comment. I did get an order to tie some later on #2 hooks.

Besides being a great smallmouth lake, I was told about some of the large brook trout they have there too.
Tony

B Kane
12-12-2012, 11:38 PM
As far as I know there are no smallmouth bass in Lewiston. At different times in the past they have planted browns and brookies but I think most if not all of those are gone now. If anyone has caught either in the last couple of years I'd like to hear about it. Only rainbows and kokanee are left there now. From what I've heard they now plant triploids. I've fished Lewiston for 35 years and have seen it go up and down. Before they started the big spring flows the fishing was superb. All the weeds are now pretty much washed out every spring. The fish were getting really fat on scud and it was not unusual to get three to six pounders every trip. My best day for large fish had the top five weigh a total of 28 pounds. Those days are gone now but the numbers are still good. Pretty hard to pass up the Trinity and fish Lewiston right now.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-13-2012, 12:36 AM
Trinity Lake (Clair Engle Lake) above Lewiston Lake has record Smallmouth Bass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_Lake

http://www.fishsniffer.com/maps/

Tony Buzolich
12-13-2012, 01:52 PM
That could be my error. It may have been Trinity Lake.
Tony