PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Comments on Disco Bay Fishing Plan

JAWallace
12-11-2012, 08:41 AM
I'm planning a Disco Bay trip next week sometime. This is new territory to me, and I'll probably be on my own. This is the best plan I could gin up, and am hoping to get some comments, either posts or PMs. Not expecting specifics. Thanks so much.

Tide: Incoming

If the water clarity is OK, launch at Orwood and fish Lido and the west side. I have a slight non-fishing preference here as I have some friends who live on the far SW end and I'd like to stop by and see them for a few minutes. This is secondary to fishing.

If the water is turbid, then launch at the marina and fish the deeper water on the east side.

Most of this comes from Costello's book, and that's really the only reference I could find, except I do know there's been some success there recently by a hardware guy. That was on the west side. If I can't find stripes I'm not above crappie fishing, and have no clue where they are there. I cannot imagine much brush in Disco but never been. I can only find a topo for the east side (Navionics iPhone app).

I'll be sure to post the results if the trip goes as scheduled and will detail only to the extent requested in any PMs. Thanks again ~ John

Tony Buzolich
12-11-2012, 11:39 AM
I fished Disco last week with a couple of buddies and conditions looked beautiful, no fog, no wind, and sun all day. Before leaving the marina we had fish busting bait but it turned out to only be a small black bass trying to eat a threadfin that was too big for the bass's mouth.

We got into Disco and immediately picked up one small striper in Kellogg slough, but that was it. We had a good tide with moving water but couldn't buy another fish inside any of the courts we tried.

Before the tide topped out we moved outside into Indian slough and Old River and marked a fair number of fish but nothing would grab. As we moved farther up to the trussels there was just too much of the floating water hyacinth making casting almost impossible. Headed toward Whiskey Slough but still too much hyacinth making even navigation tough. Headed back to Disco and worked the mouth of the deep water side and picked up a small bass and then one more on the way back to the marina.

Beautiful day, perfect conditions, but no fish for a long ride.

As for crappie? Try straight down under your friend's dock. If you see any birds working or diving go for them and get there fast.

Good luck, TONY

JAWallace
12-11-2012, 03:28 PM
You're not making me drool with anticipation, Tony, but thanks so much for your report. The D seems to be pretty dead for most everyone right now. Any word on upcoming hyacinth eradication? It's really getting annoying, even in the SJ channel.

Tony Buzolich
12-11-2012, 04:26 PM
John,(Local)

Take a look at Dan's board and read the post from Jerry in Lodi. Apparantly Disco was treated with an herbacide to kill the weeds and in so doing got rid of the bait fish that like to hold there. So goes the food chain.
TONY

JAWallace
12-11-2012, 10:32 PM
I didn't find the comment about the herbicide. Jerry's first post was just after we had been discussing Disco privately, and apparently neither of us know much about it. It's a long run for him from Korth's and it's an hour an a half for me with the trailer. Unless things improve, the upcoming year on the D for me may be strongly focused on LMB/SMB and that's OK. We did OK for stripes on the American this year and you guys did a lot better in the Feather. We'll find them somewhere, but maybe later on. I'm thinking I might divert to Amador next week. At least if I don't do anything there I know it's me and not the lack of game. Stlll, I'd prefer to be on the Delta over most waters.

Thanks again, Tony
John