PDA

View Full Version : Free to a good home (almost complete striper rig)

mar
12-07-2012, 11:39 PM
Convinced my kids that they need to donate some of their unused toys so other kids could play with them. Then they flipped the script on me and asked me about my 'many fishing poles'.

So to lead by example and to hopefully load up on some fishing karma, I'm donating an almost complete striper rig:

Powell Tiboron XL 990-4 (9ft 9wt, 4-pc , comes with tube, blank warranty card; an absolute cannon)
Redington CD 9/10 reel (only fished 3 times, max)
Airflo ridge intermediate running line (spooled to a reel, fished once, in very good condition)
30-ft T14 with braided loops
½ dozen striper flies (tied by me, just promise not to laugh when you see them)

All you need is to add some backing to the reel and you’re good to go.

So, if you or know of somebody who wants to get into striper fishing but can’t afford to buy the whole set-up due to current circumstances send me a message or e-mail . Depending on how much interest this generates, this will go to the person who needs it the most.

Again, this whole set-up is FREE to the person who will put it good use and needs it the most. This has to be the person's first striper rig, not a back-up set-up. Please abide by the honor system when responding to this. I expect nothing less from the folks in this fine online community.

Strongly prefer local pick-up but will ship if you cover shipping costs.

civicrr
12-07-2012, 11:51 PM
Class act!

Rockman
12-07-2012, 11:56 PM
I nominate by fishing buddy Jamie who turned down a nice rod for $50. because he can't afford all the " acessories" . A good guy with striper fishing fever that is way beyond his current income due to circumstances beyond his control. He has only been flyfishing for 1 year and he's an addict in need of a fix.

Jamie, please don't be mad that I exposed your addiction.
I would be willing to donate a bit for a Christmas present to him. If this idea fly's, lets make it a "Community Gift" from all the cool flyfishers who read this board.
Feedback requested.
Will
"Rockman"

Dan Harrison
12-08-2012, 12:07 AM
Mar, now that is some Christmas spirit, love it!

Rockman
12-08-2012, 12:07 AM
Mar,
I like your spirit, lets take it to another level. Let's play it forward, I'm not the most knowledgeable person about striper fishing, but I'll donate my 18' Fish-Rite for a day of fishing including the gas. Even if someone else gets your outfit, I'll man the controls and put the boat where you want it, and you or some other knowledgeable striperholic can show the lucky recepient how its done! I must admit, I will listen to everything you say. HeHe!
How far can we take this guy's.
Tis the season, let share the "JOY"

Will

Rockman
12-08-2012, 12:28 AM
Let's take this generous gift idea from Mar, and make it a board tradition " Play if Foward". There are many people, including kids that don't have the money, knowledge, or parents who can take them out and expose them to one of the finest sports in the world that could possibly change their life IMHO. I would be willing to donate time to help organize resource's, donators and needy recipiants for this tradition of "Play It Forward" which would bring "JOY" to those in need, and "JOY' for those that give.

Hogan Brown
12-08-2012, 06:22 AM
Ryan Johnston and I are always looking for donated gear to use as part of Cast Hope. www.casthope.org

jersey
12-08-2012, 10:44 PM
Mar. Please let me know when the set-up is distributed and the backing is on me...drop off or mail wont matter
either way

This humble generosity must be supported

rgloft
12-08-2012, 11:15 PM
I live in Napa And have been fly fishing for four and a half yrs but cant see useing my trout rods in this napa river plus they are way under wt for striper fishing I would love to learn to ff for stripers Please pick me Richard From Napa <@)))))))))))))))))><

hooked1
12-09-2012, 08:59 AM
I would make a strong case for the Wounded Warriors,Reel Recovery,or Casting for Recovery.All in need of donations of gear.It will be put to good use and will help many men and woman over the years.

Just a thought......

Scott

rgloft
12-09-2012, 06:11 PM
I live in Napa And have been fly fishing for four and a half yrs but cant see useing my trout rods in this napa river plus they are way under wt for striper fishing I would love to learn to ff for stripers Please pick me Richard From Napa <@)))))))))))))))))><

Pick me! Pick me !

rgloft
12-09-2012, 06:12 PM

Pick me! Pick me !

Larry S
12-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Mar,
Good on you. The Christmas spirit lives on!
Best to all of you who have followed Mar's example.
Larry S

mar
12-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Thanks for all the replies and offers to add more stuff to the package. A lot of good folks on this board.
Will give it a couple more days.

Mar

mar
12-13-2012, 10:37 PM
The rig has found a good home. I was able scrounge up some backing to complete the set-up. Glad to know that it will be put to good use. Thanks again to all who responded.

Mar

Larry S
12-14-2012, 05:36 PM
Mar,
Good news on a day we'd all like to forget! You have made someone, not only very happy, but, an instant
striper fisherman!
Best,
Larry S

Darian
12-14-2012, 06:12 PM
Hey Mar,.... I'm awarding an ATTABOY to you for your gift and spirit. Good Karma coming your way!!! :cool:

koffler
12-14-2012, 06:30 PM
Nice job Mar - very well done. On a day that's so crappy nice to hear that the world still has a little joy and positiveness left in it.

On the downside, I realize this is a flyfishing board, but would be remiss if I didn't mention the tragedy in Western Conneticut today. Back in the day something like this would have hurt me, but now that I have kids, I wept like a baby when I heard the news. Thoughts and prayers to those affected; I'm sure everyone will, but give your kids a little longer hug tonight. So damn sad.

jv

mar
12-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Thanks all. The recipient was very ecstatic and reciprocated with a Christmas card and presents for me and my family. Very cool.

Koffler, I'm still at a loss of words. Such a senseless tragedy. Having a 10yr old and 7yr old, it really hit me hard. My sincerest thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families.

Mar

Larry S
12-15-2012, 02:31 PM
Mar,
I encourage folks to go back and read the first two sentences of your opening post in this thread. Not sure what their
motivation or intentions were in throwing the "helping others" back at you; but, in light of yesterday's tragedy, we
should be reminded that nothing is more precious than life and that our children are our future. I am reminded of the
bumper sticker that says "Practice random acts of kindness." Let's hope that we exit the Holiday Season in a more
joyous and peaceful manner than we entered.
Best to you and your family,
Larry S

JasonB
12-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Wow, I hadn't bothered to read this as I haven't yet even thought of fly fishing for stripers (I've gone off the deep end enough with trouts and salmon). This is inspirational. So very heartening to see such evidence of the goodness of people. Very classy indeed Mar!
JB