PDA

View Full Version : FLoating Line for Beulah Platinum 7108?

Ben J
12-04-2012, 01:48 PM
I'm swallowing my pride and getting a strictly indicator line for my platinum 7 wt switch as a i plan on doing some floats this winter. Looking for some advice here... Rio switch, rio Steelhead/salmon, rio indicator? others? I figured a 9 or 10 wt line, but never thrown a floater on a switch so i'm looking for some input here. Thanks

Larry S
12-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Gordon Langenbeck, the Oregon Oracle, fishes the Airflo Speydicator with his spey rod and we all know about his
successes. Of course, there's much more to it besides the line. Think this would also work on a switch rod if
you matched the grain weight to Beulah's recommendations.
Hope you let us know how it works out for you.
Best,
Larry S

JasonB
12-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Well I'd suggest you take my very limited experience here with a HUGE grain of salt, BUT I have found that the Rio Atlantic Salmon/Steelhead taper line has worked quite nicely on my Deer creek switch. I've got a 6wt switch, and 8wt line. I did switch to a scandi shooting head recently, and while it has made some casting a lot easier I wasn't as wowed as I thought I would be. Honestly the steelhead taper line worked pretty well, and with less shooting line to deal with (as long as I had a bit more room for some bigger D-loops), and I did like the ease of mending better at distances. Mostly I'm probably just still getting used to dealing with all the running line in the shooting head system so the above comparison is hardly a complete one by an experienced caster ... on the other hand I think that if a novice spey caster like myself can do fairly well on the steelhead taper an experienced caster should be able to quite well indeed I would think. I am mostly swinging (90% of the time) if that makes any difference...
JB

Larry S
12-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Kobe,
Sending you a PM.
Best,
Larry S