PDA

View Full Version : Casting For Recovery Auction -- please take a quick look

augustwest
11-30-2012, 10:34 AM
After lurking for a long time I recently became a registered user of this excellent forum. With Bill Kiene's blessing I am pleased to make my first post in support of a great cause, the Casting For Recovery auction of a framed collection of the finest Atlantic Salmon flies you may ever see in one place -- surrounding paintings by prominent artists Bob White and Rick Harrington. It is accompanied by another work of art -- a custom spey rod which will be built to the auction winner's specifications by renown rod designer Bob Meiser.

Please click on the following images to enlarge them:

5884 5885 5886

The auction takes place here: https://www.biddingforgood.com/auction/item/B4GItem.action?id=183480018&query.query=217+

Or if you're on a mobile device, look here: https://m.biddingforgood.com/auctions/176369371/items/183480018

Here's the back story of this unique and valuable auction package:

A little over a year ago, a couple members of The Drake Forum who tied classic Atlantic Salmon flies decided to swap a few patterns. The group grew to 8 and it was determined that each tier would designate a special pattern to be professionally mounted and framed in a display to be auctioned to benefit a worthy cause. All flies are tied with authentic materials. As the wife of one of the participants had just lost a battle with cancer, Casting for Recovery was chosen as the beneficiary of the donated display.

Two other forum members, Bob White and Richard Harrington, both nationally known artists, became aware of the project and most generously offered to create original paintings to be a part of the display. A very generous Drake Forum member covered the cost to custom-mount and frame the flies and artwork. The finished product is approximately 24" x 20".

Robert Meiser, who builds beautiful custom salmon and steelhead rods, will custom-build a Highlander Classic S2H13068C-4 to be included with the framed piece. This rod is 13' 6" and designed to throw a line weight in the 6-7-8 window. The winner bidder can arrange design specifics with Bob prior to the rod being built. This is truly a unique opportunity to own a singular display of classic salmon flies, two original works of art, and a spey rod built by a true master.

To commission the artwork, purchase the individual flies, frame and mount the piece, and purchase the custom rod, were it even possible to recreate the project, would cost in excess of $6,000.

Please take a moment to consider this good cause, and on behalf of everyone involved in this project, thank you.

augustwest

Larry S
11-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Casting for Recovery is a great cause and program. Guys; your wives would give you a free pass if they knew
that you contributed. This auction is a bit out of my league; but, still think about looking into the CfR program.
Wish you well, August.
Best,
Larry S

El Rey
12-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Let me add my support for Casting for Recovery. My wife is now more than 5 years out from her aggressive breast cancer treatments. But what turned out to be a high point during a trying time was when she attended one of CFR's retreats at Clearwater Lodge. She learned fly fishing and is now an avid partner on my fishing trips. We are enthusiastic fans of the organization.

Harlan