PDA

View Full Version : First spey rod

thor178
11-28-2012, 07:17 PM
I am looking at getting my first spey rod, I want to get a lighter rod 5 or 6 wt. Looking at tfo or echo or redington rod. I am looking at some input.

Bryan Morgan
11-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Dont overlook the line of Beulah's. They make a great 12-6 6wt.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Our two most popular Spey rods are 12'6" #6 and 13' #7.

Where did you want to fish with this new Spey rod?

We have Tim Rajeff "Solo" Spey rods for $229.00 with a case and lifetime waranty, brand new.

thor178
11-29-2012, 07:56 AM
I fish smaller river , like the Tuolumne, Stanislaus and Merced Rivers and I fish the American for shad.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-29-2012, 08:54 AM
Maybe a 6 weight Switch rod would be better for you.

They are phsyically line a long 8 weight single hand fly rod.

For just trout on those rivers you could use a 5 weight Switch.

hwchubb
11-29-2012, 08:20 PM
In an attempt to get this back on track (and for the record, Jed's right), I would look at a 3-5 wt spey for what you're looking for. I use an 11' 4/5 switch for shad, summer steel, and winter fish on the Klamath and Trinity. It handles fish up to 10 lbs, and is a little overkill on fish under 18" or so. There are some great light speys out there.

Adam Grace
11-29-2012, 08:21 PM
A light 6wt spey rod sounds like a good match in my opinion, yet switch rods are nice too. It all depends on how much actual spey casting use is going to occur. I just got a chance to cast Bill Kiene's new 6wt Echo 3 spey rod and I was very impressed. It had a great softer "feel" that would be great for medium to larger trout and especially fun for fighting shad!

BTW, I also Agree with Jed. Not classy.

Jed Peters
11-29-2012, 08:43 PM
Hey mouth , why must you always stir up sh*t on fishing forums? I think you don't catch that many steel on the swing because your mouth is always flowing out sh*t. Karma is paying you back. I don't believe Bill would be upset about that post of Sierra trading post. He is always trying to help everyone's needs and is a big supporter of items being sold on the classifieds, plus he puts his input in on what a great deal some items are. Just go about your business and focus your energy on good thoughts. It's the holidays! This is suppost to be a happy and giving time of the year.

This is priceless. Thanks for the humor.

And, in case you were wondering, the humor is not me laughing with you, it's laughing at you.

Ben J
11-29-2012, 08:54 PM
I believe there is a 5120 Echo TR spey outfit for sale on the Classifieds forum. This is a really sweet rod and i'm sure you would get a good deal.... Light enough for trout and perfect for trinity/klamath stuff... Good Luck in your search

I also love my sage VXP 5120 for the exact situations as the above rod. Everyone talks it up as a skagit rod but i think the VXP series is pretty sweet with scandi heads. I have other rods, but don't really use anything else on the Trinity.

Also, maybe a PM message to recommend certain deals would keep people from getting riled up in the future.

Jed Peters
11-29-2012, 09:04 PM
I also love my sage VXP 5120 for the exact situations as the above rod. Everyone talks it up as a skagit rod but i think the VXP series is pretty sweet with scandi heads. I have other rods, but don't really use anything else on the Trinity.

Talk a little about the vxp, would you? Lines, tip types, characteristic, etc?

I bought a 6129 on KIENE FLY SHOP STAFF recommendation, and think its the best rod in that "range" for sure.

Is the 5120 as good? A hidden gem? (As an owner of the 5119, I'm interested in this rod just for conversation sake....)

troutless
11-30-2012, 01:09 AM
Another vote for the Beulah 1266.

Which of course I bought at Kiene's.

JasonB
11-30-2012, 09:30 AM
I fish smaller river , like the Tuolumne, Stanislaus and Merced Rivers and I fish the American for shad.

I think a switch rod would totally get the job done on those rivers personally. Not sure about shad, but for trout fishing you could probably go as light as a 4wt, or a 5wt -6wt if you plan on also using some sinking tips. I got an 11' 6wt deer creek based on a lot of help from Aaron and Bill at Kienes. I am really happy with the rod, and happy that they kind of talked me out of getting a bigger rod for what I'm doing. I've been using my rod for swinging wets for steelhead on the Trinity, and a bit of streamer fishing on the Truckee.

I have to say it's been plenty capable for both of those scenarios. So far I've mostly used floating lines, but have also used it with some 10' sink tips and been quite happy with that too. In terms of size and capabilities of a 6wt, I notice it gets a bit sloppy dealing with really heavy weighted flies (#2 dumbell eyes, 15 wraps or so of lead free wire, rabbit fur, etc), but even then can still get the job done as long as I don't have too long and thin of a leader and keep my casting pretty simple.

If you can, I'd call the shop and chat a bit; or better yet stop in sometime when you're in the area and pick up some rods. I'm really happy with the service and help that I've gotten at Kienes on both of the rods that I've bought, and on the help that I got getting into fly tying and purchasing a vice. Good place to deal with for an important purchase like a new rod imo.

As an aside, I think that the post directing someone to take their business to STP was beyond cheesy and inconsiderate. I'm surprised that Bill left the post standing; I think a lot of business owners would have nuked that instantly. I also don't see the likes of STP ever hosting a forum such as this that we all use and enjoy. Something to consider
JB

P.S. forgot to mention that I did get to swing my friends Beulah "classic" switch, and a Sage Z-axis switch as well. Really liked all of these rods but the Beulah really shined imo.

Ben J
11-30-2012, 08:53 PM
Talk a little about the vxp, would you? Lines, tip types, characteristic, etc?

I bought a 6129 on KIENE FLY SHOP STAFF recommendation, and think its the best rod in that "range" for sure.

Is the 5120 as good? A hidden gem? (As an owner of the 5119, I'm interested in this rod just for conversation sake....)

Really sweet rod. I haven't thrown tons of two handers so i'm not great with the flex jargon, but it feels fairly stiff in the butt with a progressive flex from mid to a fairly strong tip. Really light in hand and definitely an easy all day type of rod to cast (I use a Ross Vexsis 4 on this rod and it balances nicely). I have a One and Zaxis spey but prefer the cork profile on this rod to those as it is nice and thin. It has deceptive power when fighting steelhead and i've caught a few NF Feather trout in the 16-20" range they felt pretty sporty on this rod.

I saw a youtube video with George Cook talking about this rod and he recommended a 385 rio steelhead scandi, so i started out with an airflo 390 compact scandi. This line bombs with a nice and easy stroke, but not quite my style for scandi; felt heavy with single speys and snake rolls in particular. I put on a 360 scandi compact and it feels amazing... i think an even lighter scandi head with a mono running line could be really fun on this rod.
Limited skagit experience on this rod but did fish it a few times on the NF Feather with a 425 short and 10' t11 with sculpin patterns. Fished fine and had a pretty heavy load, a bit much for my preference. I bet a 390 skagit switch or 400 flight would be sweet. I would really like to try a Rage 360/390 on this rod.
Overall, great fall steelhead rod and can do some trout work. Great on the Trinity. Plenty of punch to cover the lower river well and short, light, and delicate enough to swing through JC.